Friday, August 1, 2008

Selling Out Your Soul, Or Football Team



Did you see the headline from yesterday?

Green Bay Packers (National Football League team for those who don’t know or don’t really care) president Mark Murphy traveled to Mississippi to meet with quarterback Brett Favre and his agent James “Bus” Cook on Wednesday, in an apparent attempt to talk Favre out of reporting to camp later this week.

President Murphy made a financial offer to Mr. Favre. His offer? Favre can have $20 million not to play this year.

The sidelines at Packers practice Wednesday night were buzzing with a question: Did the Packers offer to pay Favre to stay retired? WTMJ television in Milwaukee reported the team offered Favre several million dollars to stay retired, and the Green Bay Press-Gazette reported on its Web site that the team offered Favre “a substantial salary” to stay away.

Nearly five months after his tearful retirement news conference in March, Favre filed for reinstatement with the NFL on Tuesday. He now is awaiting approval from Goodell. Once he is reinstated, the Packers will have 24 hours to release him or return him to their active roster. The team has ruled out releasing Favre, fearing he would immediately sign with division rival Minnesota.

The Packers also could trade Favre, although no deal appeared imminent. The Packers hold Favre’s rights until his contract expires after the 2010 season.

Steve speaking here. If Green Bay can’t come to terms with Mr. Favre, I’m offering to stay away from camp for only $1 million (we could negotiate this down, as needed, or up if they want to go that direction). That seems like a fair trade-off to me. After all, they’ll save $19 million that they can use against their salary cap!

Sorry Bernard. I know this story is close to your heart. Feel free to rant, rave, or express yourself here. We love you man!

8 comments:

  1. Do the words "I don't care" ring a bell? I don't watch football and tire of the same old wrangling over money. I wish people would stick to their word. Oh yeah, Steve: my asking price is $999,999. Suspect they will hire me before you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill...I'm definitely worth a dollar more than you! Just considering the vast difference in our ages, they would hire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot! They can have me for a cool quarter mill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you hear? They traded for me! I'm not thrilled about being in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick...I guess they'll get what they pay for!

    Kevin...who did they trade for you? With that hockey stick coming out of your eye, I just knew you loved snow and ice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kevin, you will either LIKE it, or you will LEARN to LIKE It...

    And I personally think they should release BRETT, and that the Chicago Bears should spend EVERY DOLLAR possibly and draft him...

    But then again, what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, here's the deal, I loved watching Brett Favre play football. He was one tough son of a gun and played with heart. If he had not retired I would have been looking forward to seeing him play again this year. However, he reited. He has been threatening retirement for like 3 stinkin' years. He should not have retired until he was ready to retire. I wonder if his wife was nagging him. Whatever the reason, now that he's retired he should stay retired. That's my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe...I agree...once you walk away, walk away, host a TV show...write a newspaper article...do radio...fish all day, if you want...but stay retired.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.