Friday, August 22, 2008

It Ain't From God


Not too long ago, I read about the struggles of a young man who was trying to live a godly live. He was genuinely trying to give God every part of his life. But, he struggled. Listen to a small part of his testimony:

“Following Christ was very difficult. I remember as a young man, stopping one evening, my head hurting, with tremendous mental anguish—trying not to sin against God! This struggle took different forms. Sometimes I’d find myself plagued by the fact that I knew I had sinned. In those moments, I felt lost. I was no longer ready for His coming. I had separated myself from God again. On other occasions I would agonize, wondering whether I had been ‘good’ enough to show that my faith in Christ was real. Struggling so much with doubt and fear of losing my salvation I spent a lot of time ‘feeling my spiritual pulse’ to see if I thought I was doing enough for God to qualify for His grace.”

Wow…what a struggle. His words are powerful, aren’t they? Notice the words he used: “struggling, doubt, feat, losing, agonize, wondering”… Here was a young man, engaged in the battle of his life—fighting with everything he had in him to remain holy and close to God.

Notice the next part of his testimony: “Looking back, one of the things I find most significant is that I went through periods of pride when I considered the list of things I had done to ‘keep’ my salvation. There were times I was convinced that I had kept my end of the bargain, so now God would have to keep His. I felt this was part of the deal. In those moments I felt that God and I were now ‘even’—and with this mutual relationship I felt I really didn’t ‘owe’ Him anything. I had paid my dues!”

Have you paid your dues to God? Have you done your part to keep Him off your back, at least for today?

We sometimes try to get God off our back with our church attendance, by how much we drop in the offering plate, by how much we serve in His church. It’s almost like there’s a quota God has established that has to be met.

Is there such a quota? Where do you find it?

I don’t think there is such a quota, not from God’s perspective anyway. Maybe there is from my perspective. Maybe I’ve lived too much of my life as if it depended upon me punching a time clock for God. Maybe I’ve made others think they too had to pay their “God dues.”

I’m trying to learn to put the time clock away. And, I’m really trying to stop expecting others to punch that imagery clock as well.

Let up on yourself today! That extra weight you are carrying around…well, it ain’t from God.

7 comments:

  1. There is nothing we can do to earn our salvation. If so, there would have been no need for Jesus to die on the cross for our sins. Once saved, there is nothing we can do to lose our salvation. His mercies are new every morning.

    Confession is important. Seeking His will is important. Prayer and studying His Word are important.

    But trying to accomplish God deeds to earn His acceptance, love, or to become more righteous - well, that's just silly. He's holy. We're not.

    He'll call us to do what He wants us to do if we just be still and know that He is God. Anything else is just a way to grind our faith into a job that we might eventually resent.

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve: were you reading my journal from years ago? I knew someone stole it but how was I to know it was you? Sadly that could be true. I lived my life just that way. Striving and feeling lost and sometimes striving and feeling as though God owed me because I had paid my dues. Man, how much I missed out on! Freedom. Joy in serving. Far cry from the life Jesus wanted me to have. Grace is a marvelous thing!! Thanks for the good post and great reminder of what I had and now have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi...great words of wisdom this morning...about the only thing I should add to what you wrote is: AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill...I've often thought, after reading your blog that we were brothers separated by the Mason/Dixon line...Grace, Grace, God's Grace...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo, I had left a big long reply, and either you moderated it or it didn't post (suspecting the latter), but it ended up on my blog anyway. You can go there to read it, if you want.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karma...you should know by now I don't moderate the comments...just look at what some people say!

    :)

    Sorry it didn't post...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't think you had moderated it. :) It was long, and I did some stuff before posting -- opening other windows, etc. so I figured it just got lost. I'm just glad I "copied" it before I lost it altogether. It was a lot of words.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.