Thursday, August 14, 2008

Having It Your Way!


Xenia, Ohio, calls itself the “City of Hospitality.” But, even in this very friendly city, one resident’s actions may have gone too far. It seems that some restaurant workers at the local Burger King are in hot water after one of them took a bubble bath at a Burger King. And, of course, in this day of YouTube and the Internet, someone posted the bath online.

I haven’t seen the video (thankfully). But, the article about it said that the employee was bathing nude in a stainless steel sink while other employees and a store manager continued to work.

The health department is investigating and says it plans to talk with prosecutors to see if any criminal charges can be filed.

To be honest, I don’t really care whether or not criminal charges are filed. I would just hope the health department would shut them down! At least, until the sink has been cleaned out.

Burger King responded quickly to this story: All of the employees involved were fired. Burger King’s corporate office released the following statement: “Burger King Corp. was just notified of this incident and is cooperating fully with the health department. We have sanitized the sink and have disposed of all other kitchen tools and utensils that were used during the incident. We have also taken appropriate corrective action on the employees that were involved in this video. Additionally, the remaining staff at this restaurant is being retrained in health and sanitation procedures.” Good answer!

I’ve known people in the restaurant business. To the person, most of them will say, “You really don’t want to know what goes on in the kitchen!” Maybe they are right. I know after eating many times in New Orleans restaurants, I was EXTREMELY thankful that I couldn’t see the kitchen—because if the restaurant looked as bad as it did, the public area, I can only imagine what the more private kitchen area looked like!

In Alabama, the health department assigns a grade to restaurants, from 1–100. The sign is to be posted near the front entrance so you can see it as you enter. Call me paranoid, but I always check the sign! And, if the sign shows a score below 85, I’m back out the door!

Any bad experiences with restaurants in your area that you want to share? I’m sure my blogger buddy Rick can curl our toes with some stories from his early career. Rick, feel free to share!

10 comments:

  1. For once I am speechless. This is just nasty! I mean, what in the world was the manager thinking? And I'm with you. I do not want to see this YouTube disaster. Hopefully they might censor it from being shown. But don't count on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A speechless preacher...wow! I never thought I'd see the day!

    Do you think anyone would actually censor such a video?

    Hardly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This discussion is going on over at Pete Wilson's blog too. Seriously, guys, if you've never worked at a restaurant... do NOT send your food back for ANY reason. If you want to join their discussion or just read the gross stories (I put one of my own on there), go to www.withoutwax.tv.

    Off to the beach!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heidi...you've just about ruined by eating out...

    And, then to know that you are off to the beach and I am stuck behind a desk all day...not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooooo, the beach. I wouldn't mind heading to the beach, but of course the nearest one is like 5 hours away, so I guess I'll just stick to the mountains. :)

    I bet that manager is MAD. I found the video and watched it (nothing "bad" shown). The manager was actually at the front of the store doing the money thing and balancing the drawer. The videographer goes to the front and tells her what is going on. She says, "fine." and keeps working. In seeing this guy, I kinda got the impression that he is always doing claiming of doing something, and the manager probably did not believe him.

    Anyway, firing them was probably the only choice. I've seen people do some stupid stuff, but that is probably the most stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link to Pete's blog. I think. Sort of grosses you out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, would rather be at the beach...but, alas, I have been called upon to share. And, as luck would have it, I DO have a story:

    Hong Kong, 1989. Group of missionaries and Chinese enjoying a meal together after church. A great noise rises from kitchen. Banging of pans, clashes of dishes can be heard, along with shouts in Cantonese. Soon, a rat, the size of a cat, runs from the kitchen with the head chef in chase. Carrying a very large (stereotypical) butcher knife. More shouts. In comes the chef, wiping the fresh blood from his knife onto his apron. Exit the missionaries following the locals.


    How's that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Rick, for not disappointing me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe I would have beaten the locals out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's kind of like the old joke about visiting a church where they handle snakes. The visitors leans over to one of the members and says, "Where's the back door?" The member replies, "We don't have a back door!" To which, the visitor says, "Well, where would you like one?!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.