Monday, August 11, 2008

Would You Like Seconds?


When I was a child, my family often went to my grandparents for Sunday lunch. We lived about 15 miles from my grandparents. So, we’d go to church and then head out afterwards for lunch. My aunts, uncles, and cousins would join us for many of those occasions.

Those lunches were really a nuthouse coming together. There were six grandchildren—all boys (with me being the oldest). There were three aunts and three uncles. There were two grandparents, and my parents, of course. So, when we all got together, the house was full! There were 16 of us, if I did the math right.

Even at a young age, I could see the different dynamics of how the different families operated. Their families were far from perfect, but then, so was mine. We all had a peculiar ways, I suppose.

My grandfather would often go out early on Sunday morning to their backyard to catch and kill a chicken or two for Sunday lunch. For as long as I can remember, my grandparents had dozens of chickens. Those chickens laid eggs that were eaten, and when they stopped laying eggs, they were fair game for Sunday lunch!

I remember one of those Sunday lunches in particular. We were having chicken and dumplings. (If you aren’t from the South, you probably don’t know about chicken and dumplings—I’ll have to blog about them more some other time—but, that’s not the point of this blog.) We were all enjoying our lunch, eating as much chicken and dumplings as we could. My grandmother sure knew how to make the best chicken and dumplings! Even my uncle, who didn’t really like anything my grandmother cooked, was really enjoying himself. He not only had seconds, he went back for thirds! I had never seen him eat so much.

All the while, I kept watching my grandmother and grandfather as they watched my uncle eat. They could hardly contain their smiles—I knew something was up! I didn’t know what it was, but my mother was in on it.

After the meal, we all thanked my grandmother for the wonderful Sunday lunch. Even my unusual uncle thanked her—I had never heard that before. Finally, my grandmother spoke up. She said, “So Max, you enjoyed the chicken and dumplings, did you?” “Oh yes, those were the best I’ve ever put into my mouth!” came his reply.

My grandmother was pleased. But, she also wanted my Uncle Max to know that what he had just eaten was not chicken and dumplings. You see, their chickens were laying too good to kill one of them! So, that morning, my grandfather had butchered one of their rabbits! Oh, did I forget to tell you that my grandparents also raised rabbits? Well, they had forgotten to tell all of us about butchering the rabbit and using him/her in the dumplings that day.

That was the last time my Uncle Max ever ate at my grandparents. Honest, it was.

We kept going to my grandparents. The rabbit didn’t bother us. After all, it really did taste like chicken anyway!

8 comments:

  1. Having been raised near Pittsburgh all my life (first 18 years) I never have had rabbit. I just take someone's word for it that it tastes like chicken. I do remember once having spaghetti and meatballs and both me and my bride devouring them. She absolutely thought they were great. Then the hosts said, "Did you like the meatballs? We weren't sure you would like venison or not." Jo will not eat venison to save her life to this day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless it is greatly hidden in spaghetti sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well having been raised in Columbus, Ohio by a man who loved to hunt (and several uncles and a grandpa who also loved to hunt) I have had rabbit, deer, and the freshest fish Lake Erie can offer. I don't remember what they tasted like. That probably means I liked it.

    Bring on the 'chicken' and dumplings. I'll try it grandma!

    Heidi Reed

    PS: Some of us northern gals feel like we've been raised in the south. I loooove C&D!! Yum! Now I live in the south, but it's not considered "the south". Strange. It's like a wannabe California I guess. Tropical paradise. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure, Heid, that where you live is truly the south. I think you are correct, it is like a Southeast California wannabe...

    Glad at least one person from above the Mason/Dixon line knows quality food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I know what C&D is but if you all want to cook some and invite me I am willing to try anything! Okay not anything but mostly.

    Heidi: where in Columbus did you live? My youngest daughter lives there now with her husband and son. I also spent a lot of years in Ohio as a pastor. (Sorry for using your blog as a chat room Steve)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You aren't sorry Bill!

    After all, my blog is your blog!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we gather at my mom's for Sunday dinner, there are almost 20 of us if we all show up. :) 8 grandkids, ranging from 3 to 20, 4 kids and partners, and my mom. A lot of times, my nephews will bring friends with them.

    It's chaotic, but fun.

    Because we all go to different churches, we arrive in "stages" and eat in "shifts." AND, because the house isn't that large, you sit wherever you can find room to sit your bottom, be it the living room, the kitchen, or a bedroom.

    My mom makes awesome C&D. It is one of about 5 dishes she does really well. :P

    As far as rabbit, I don't remember eating it, but I probably have. My dad was an avid bear hunter, so we ate a lot of bear growing up. My husband and son love deer. Squirrel is okay, but you have to kill so many of them to anything worth fooling with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bill. All over really. I grew up in southeast Columbus. Graduated from Groveport High School. Later I lived in Pataskala. Then Reynoldsburg. Both east side. After I married my sweet husband we lived in Dublin (northwest) and then north in the Polaris area. I worked in Upper Arlington.

    My family is in Columbus, Pickerington, Baltimore, Lancaster, Reynoldsburg, Gahanna, and Canal Winchester mostly. All east/southeast areas.

    Where is your baby girl? I say "baby" because we are always our daddy's babies. :)

    Hi Steve.

    Heidi
    A born and bred Buckeye!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.