Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Blowing in the Wind


A 6-foot-tall, 250-pound letter carrier is campaigning for the right to take off his pants.

Dean Peterson wants the U.S. Postal Service to add kilts as a uniform option for men. Yes. You read that right. He wants to wear a kilt as he delivers mail.

The idea was soundly defeated in July at a convention of his union, the 220,000-member National Letter Carriers’ Association, so Peterson knows convincing management will be an uphill struggle, but at least he’ll be comfortable in his kilt, or Male Unbifurcated Garment, as he likes to call it.

Peterson said it all comes down to one word: “Comfort.”

Now, Peterson isn’t Scottish. Far from it! Peterson, 48, has Finnish and Norwegian ancestry but not Scottish. He began wearing kilts a couple years ago when his wife brought one back from a trip to Scotland. Now he wears them everywhere—to one son’s football games, the other son’s concerts, shopping, and even while gardening.

Before the convention in Boston, Peterson spent his family’s $1,800 economic stimulus tax rebate to mail about 1,000 letters and photographs of him wearing a prototype Postal Service kilt to union branches in every state, Guam and Puerto Rico. [Was that the best use of his stimulus rebate?]

The union’s executive committee recommended disapproval, saying there was not enough demand for kilts to be worth the bother of the resolution, and delegates agreed by a large margin. But Peterson said there are plenty of approved uniform items that very few mail carriers wear, including a cardigan sweater, vest, and (my personal favorite) pith helmet.

So gang, what do you think?

Should your local mail carrier be able to wear a kilt if he or she wants to? Am I being judgmental is I don’t think they should be able to wear one?

Better yet, would you wear one? Or want your husband to wear one?

9 comments:

  1. And here Kevin I thought you were a risktaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the men wear one, does that mean they'll have to start "sitting down" to go to the bathroom?

    Most mail carriers in my area don't "carry" the mail anyway. They drive around in their cars. They are making everyone get rid of the mailboxes on their porch and put in one on a pole by the road.

    Maybe, if they carried the mail again, it'd save on gas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are certainly going to have to watch out for those stiff breezes that come along. And spending $1800 stimulus rebate check on postage? My bride would have more than my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah...me neither. Risk taker or not. I do know my limits and wearing a kilt is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL - I haven't gone past your title for this post yet "blowing in the wind". ROFL!!!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, what I find funny is that this man lives in Seattle, I believe. I've been to Seattle...it is windy and cool, even in the summer time! I'm thinking he is just crazy! Wearing a kilt in that weather makes no sense...and I'm with Bill, if I had spent our stimulus check on mailing a proposal like this, my wife would have mailed me somewhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imagine if it catches on. Next is UPS -- I can just imagine "my" UPS man in a brown kilt. hahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Bernard has best be watching for the UPS man!

    They already wear those ugly brown shorts...maybe kilts can't be too far away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.