Saturday, August 16, 2008

Don't Forget Your Turn Signal


A 35-year-old Texas woman has been jailed after police say she made her 12-year-old daughter drive her to a bar. Notice. The mother made her 12-year-old daughter drive her TO the bar! Not home from the bar. Not to a hospital because an emergency. Not to church. But TO a bar!

Police in Longview, Texas, say they watched a minivan turn into a driveway without signaling on Wednesday and bump into the home at a low speed. They say the car was driven by Jennifer Lynn Rosenberg’s daughter.

Police say the girl told an officer she had just dropped her mother off at a bar. They say they found Rosenburg at the bar and that she admitted having her daughter drive her there.

Rosenburg remains in the Gregg County Jail on a $2,500 bond.

Could she be waiting on her daughter to bail her out? Did the police take the keys away from the girl so she can’t go to the bank to get the bond money? Is the girl not authorized to sign her checks so she can’t bail her out?

I’ve heard of designated drivers; but, I always thought that was for people LEAVING a bar, not driving to it. Then again, if she allowed her 12-year-old to drive her to a bar, maybe she was already plastered!

5 comments:

  1. Several thoughts come to mind-two you have already mentioned. One, the little girl driving. How scary is that? Two, driving her mom TO the bar. Three, is this another case where the child is more grown up than the parent and will have to lose her childhood to raise her? Fourth, where is the dad? I assume it must have been a single mom. I do not foresee good things in this little girl's future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a single thing to say that won't sound like more criticism. If I prayed, I'd definitely be praying for that mother and child. Can you not hear the need screaming out from both of them? Ah well. Not an alien.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Stuff Christians Like... the post about the gas station worker (female) who had an "X" tattooed on her wrist. When Jon asked her about it she said her mom gave it to her when she was a minor. I think her mom was drunk and I think the girl was younger than 12 when it happened. It broke my heart. So does this story. You might be right, Steve, mom may have been smashed before she left to go to the bar. If she's an alcoholic (and believe me I know alcoholic behavior) she may very well have been. Terribly sad and upsetting.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy, I think the only answer for most of us, unless we live in that part of Texas, is to pray for the mother and the girl. I have been praying for the mom to find the only True Hope that satisfies--Jesus Christ. He can bring her peace and pleasure.

    I'm also praying for the daughter. I know the days ahead are going to be long for her--unless there is an intervention of some type. I'm hoping the local social ministries and churches have come to the rescue here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, I have a friend from college days who was equally screwed up by family. The father was crazy--not a correct term, I realize, but for the sake of this post, you get my point. The mother was so dependent on everyone else, she was no help. So that left my friend and sibling to fend for themselves. They cooked, cleaned, and basically provided all of their own needs, from the time they were old enough to do so. To this day, there are emotional scars left for my friend. Scars that may never go away. I pray for my friend and the other sibling. I've prayed for years. One day, in God's timing, the scars will be removed--on this side of heaven or the other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.