Tuesday, August 12, 2008

An Audience of One


Al Franken is running for the United States Senate. Did you know that? Yes, the funny man from Saturday Night Live and Air America radio is running for political office.

Last week, he hosted a roundtable to discuss veteran issues. The roundtable took place in St. Cloud, Minnesota.

Too bad word must not have gotten out about the roundtable—only one person showed up for the event. One.

So, what’s a politician to do? Franken gave the former Navy man his entire attention for the hour. According to the St. Cloud Times, Franken spent the hour with Josh John, a veteran who served from 2000–2004. Mr. Franken belittled his opponent. He gave Mr. John his entire speech about his proposals for veteran affairs.

One person shows up for a roundtable—while counting heads and noses isn’t always the best method for measuring success, I’d have to admit that to only have one potential voter show up may not signal a landslide victory, well, other than for your opponent!

Have you ever planned an event, spending hours and hours getting ready for it, only to have a small handful of people to attend? What do you do?

In my current job, I regularly lead conferences. Most of the time, I never know how many I will have. I could have 1 or 100, or more, at times. So, what do I do? I prepare for whoever shows up! I’ll probably print more handouts than I will need—but, it is better to be over-prepared anyway. I’ll be on time for my conference and have my displays set up early. I’ll honor my time and only go for the allotted time.

I’ll do that for one or hundred, the number doesn’t matter.

But, I have found that I will change up my approach when I determine the crowd. It’s hard to break into small groups to discuss when only 1 person is there! In those cases, I’ll spend more time just talking one-on-one, hearing the person’s needs and what I can bring to the table to help them.

There’s an old joke about a preacher preaching on a snowy Sunday morning. Only one old farmer showed up for church, the rest were turned away by the bad weather. The preacher thought for a few minutes about what to do, then he went ahead and preached his entire 90 minute sermon! He screamed. He hit the pulpit for emphasis. He probably even spit a few times in his excitement.

After the service, as the preacher was standing at the door awaiting his “crowd” to leave. The old farmer came up to the preacher and thanked him for the sermon. The preacher said, “How’d I do today?” The old farmer said, “Well preacher, when I go out to feed my cows and only one or two cows show up that day, I don’t give them all the hay I have on the tractor. Might be good for you to remember the next time it snows everybody but me in!”

Al Franken could have used that advice.

9 comments:

  1. Steve: as a pastor I have struggled with this in the past. Work hard on a sermon only to have vacations or the weather or a festival take its toll on the attendance. I used to say, "What's the use" especially if I knew ahead of time that attendance would be down. Then I learned that whoever is there, they deserve my best. One winter day here it happened to be Sunday and nasty. I wanted to only set out about 50-75 chairs. The person helping said, "No. We are country people with 4x4s. We had something close to 150 that day! I learned an important lesson that day for sure! I realize that is not the same as 1 or 2 showing up but the same principle applies: If they thought it important enough to come, i should think it is important enough to prepare and deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most leaders struggle with this from time to time, Bill. Bible Study teachers who know three families are going to be out. Music directors who work with choirs often know of absences that are planned. And, yes, preachers who know that the weather or festivals or dedication Sundays (as they are called in the South) those things take their toll, until, you realize it is about God and not the preacher and his sermon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the other side before; I was the one person who showed up for something.

    It was back in the 1980's and I was taking the "New Member's Class" at the Church on Brady in Los Angeles. When it was apparent that I was to be the only person there, I suggested to the pastor, Thom Wolf, that we should postpone it until the next week.

    He made me feel so special by saying something to the effect of, "You are the one who came; let the others make it up. I came prepared to teach, and you came prepared to learn. Let's do it!"

    As soon as I began to read your post, I was reminded of this evening, so long ago, where the servant leader taught his heart out for an audience of one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story Rick...I think you gave a great description of Pastor Wolf: "servant leader." May his tribe increase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a music director at a small church, it is very frustrating to have practice and only have 3 or 4 people there. I don't mind to go ahead and practice, but so many of of the choir members are so self-conscience, they won't sing if they think someone can hear them. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karma,

    I agree with you completely. Music is in a whole other category! Choirs NEED attendance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karma...I laughed out loud when I read your statement: "They won't sing if they think someone can hear them!"

    Isn't that the point of singing in the choir...for people to hear them?

    No need to explain...I know and understand fully what you are saying! Honest I do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait just a second! You said it was not about the preacher and his sermon? You have a lot of nerve to speak that type of blasphemy in my presence. Well, not in my presence but in this forum. Where is your loyalty? Your spirituality? Your support of the lowly pastor? Traitor!! Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.