Thursday, August 7, 2008

Follow the Money


An Ocala, Florida, man has been paying $800 a month for rent. He’s been faithful in his payments. He’s worked hard to pay on time, even early, each month.

So far so good.

However, unfortunately, he’s actually been paying a phony landlord.

Authorities said Carl Kopsho was at a gas station in January, telling his friends he was looking for a place to live when a stranger approached and offered to help.

The man, who identified himself as Tyrone Grain, showed Kopsho the house, and the two signed a lease.

The sheriff’s office reports the real homeowner called authorities last week to say he suspected someone was living at his house, which was supposed to be vacant.

When investigators confronted Kopsho at the home, he told them about Grain, who has not been located (imagine that!).

Kopsho said he hopes to continue renting the home from the real owner.

So, what happens now? Does Mr. Kopsho have to pay the real landlord back payments? Does the real landlord kick Mr. Kopsho to the curb? Or, does the real landlord offer grace to the “innocent” Mr. Kopsho?

Put yourself in the landlord’s place. WWYD? What would you do?

3 comments:

  1. WWID? I'd like to think I'd give the man grace, realizing that he is also the victim of a crime.

    Hopefully, Mr. Kopsho paid by check and they can somehow trace it through to the crook's account.

    What a mess! What a scam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WWID? Hopefully never find myself in this kind of mess. WWIH? (Hope) That the real landlord is gracious enough to let me rent at the same rate (doubt that) and that they find the perp. Than hang him by...nope that was another post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh heck. I am a landlord. It's no fun. I actually pretty much hate it. I can't wait until this market straightens out and we can just sell the stupid house.

    But if that happened to me, I'd ask him to either move out in a reasonable amount of time or sign a new lease paying me the full amount of the mortgage each month. It depends though. The house is in FL. It might be a snow bird retreat for the winter. In that case, I would ask him to move.

    I would certainly find a way to prosecute the fake landlord. For sure!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.