Friday, August 22, 2008

Classy Is In the Eye of the Beholder


If there’s one thing Texans are serious about, it’s pickup trucks.

A Dallas-area man says his truck is being targeted simply because his homeowners association doesn’t think it’s classy enough. (Well, I’ve always been a Chevy man myself, because my father was, but come on sir! Not classy enough? Really?)

Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three notices threatening him with fines.

“Mr. Greenwood, you’re violating a subdivision rule that prohibits pickup trucks in your driveway,” the notice reads.

Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline, and Lincoln Mark LT. But most Ford, Dodge, or Chevy pickups are restricted.

Mr. Greenwood continued by saying, “It’s very frustrating and confusing. It’s hard to imagine how an HOA would try to dictate what type of vehicle you can drive and park in your driveway.”

Bill Osborn of the HOA board said the association also prohibits boats, trailers, golf carts and RVs in driveways. “The high-end vehicles that are allowed are plush with amenities and covers on the back. It doesn’t look like a pickup,” he said. “It’s fancier.”

Mr. Greenwood appealed, claiming his Ford F-150 isn’t much different from the Lincoln Mark LT.

“The response was: ‘It’s our belief that Lincoln markets to a different class of people,’” (Ouch. Okay, that had to hurt!)

What do you think? Should an HOV have that much power? We have a small HOV in our neighborhood. The only time I can find them is when they come collecting our annual dues! They don’t monitor grass-cutting, boats on the street, paint colors, or even garbage cans being left at the curb. But, they sure know how to collect dues!

Share your experiences.

4 comments:

  1. Don't live in a HOA so don't know about all the rules. However, I don't see that they can tell you what you can and cannot drive. Like you I wouldn't drive a FORD but that is not the point. :) Sure am glad I don't live in any kind of association.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH!!!!

    I'm a Texan . . . a diehard Texan. Maybe that's redundant. I drive a 1996 Chevy Silverado. It would take an act of God to pry it from me. I've always driven a truck and I always will. Even for the year I lived in Washington D.C. I drove a truck.

    I was just about to say that the F-150 is no different than the Lincoln truck when I read it in your blog. Really, the only difference is that there is a Lincoln grille on the Lincoln.

    And how the heck did the Chevy Avalanche make it into the "high-end" line of trucks. It's not even a real truck. It's a truck for people who wish they had trucks. It's a truck for soccer moms and Yankees.

    This is why a lot of us in Texas have issues with city-folk and people north of the Mason-Dixon Line (no offense to those who meet these criteria). They think they are better, more intelligent, and wealthier.

    I think this guy should buy a fleet of trucks and park them all up and down the neighborhood. Maybe a nice F-650 that costs more than they "luxurious" Lexuses and BMWs.

    [/end rant]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a Texan here! We not only have a HOA - we live in a highly secure gated community. All vehicles must be registered and have a tag on them for when going in and out. Definite fines for grass getting too high (hence another reason for the Lawn Pastor) and even more fines if trash is out too early or empty cans left out too long. I could go on but surely someone gets the point!

    Funny enough? I've been stopped a couple of times in the car I drive - 17 years old. Hubby has been stopped in the one he drives - 14 years old. When driving the newest vehicle - nope.... never have gotten stopped. Some neighbors say our driveway looks like a used car lot.

    HOA rules? We've got them coming out our ears. Almost to where one cannot hear. HUH? What did you say? Personally? I think it's totally a sign of how messed up our society is. But I'll refrain from giving all my thoughts on it. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.