Thursday, August 28, 2008

How Far Would You Go?

I’m not sure where this story is from, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

A mother had her forehead tattooed with the web address of a gambling site after auctioning off advertising space on her head to pay for her son’s school fees.

Karolyne Smith has to live with a permanent billboard on her forehead after she accepted Goldenpalace.com’s offer of $10,000 for the ‘advertising space’. She needed the money to send her son Brady to a private school.Karolyne said: “I really want to do this. To everyone else, it seems like a stupid thing to do. To me, $10,000 is like a million dollars.”“I only live once and I’m doing it for my son. It’s a small sacrifice to build a better future for my son.”Smith’s eBay auction attracted more than 27,000 hits and 1,000 watchers. Bidding reached $999.99 before Goldenpalace.com, an Internet gambling company met Smith’s $10,000 asking price. Goldenpalace.com also gave her another $5,000 for her trouble.Now, first of all, this mother’s concern for her son’s education is admirable. Too many parents today seem not to care about their children’s education or future. So, I’ll give her a brownie point for caring, and a brownie point for providing. And, two brownie points for being creative!

However, some questions do come to mind here. I think I’ll just put them in a short list:

1) What happens when little “Billy” (I don’t know his real name, so I’ll just use this one) needs braces?
2) What happens when 16-year-old Billy wants a car?
3) What happens when high school senior Billy wants to go off to college?
4) What about when Billy wants to get married?
5) What happens when Ms. Smith’s forehead begins to wrinkle and sag? I wonder how proud the gambling company will be then!

I’ve looked at her picture several times. I can’t begin to imagine looking in the mirror every day and seeing that tattooed on my forehead!

Plus, her forehead isn’t that big, so many more sites can’t be added!

Maybe that is an advantage to being bald! I’ve got a huge forehead and top of my head available for rent! Pardon me while I go over and set up my eBay account!

16 comments:

  1. I think it is laudable that she wants to be creative for her son. I think it is laudable for her to want the best for her son (if the private school is the best...I don't have a clue). It is especially dumb if she wants him to go just for the prestige. More questions: what happens if she changes hair styles. What happens when Billy gets old enough to be embarrassed of his mom's tattoo? What happens if the internet site goes out of business (small chance of that happening I know).

    I think if you and I rented out space on our bald pate's Steve we would like NASCAR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Well I cannot talk down about a tattoo since I have two and plan to get more. Sooo...

    There are products out there that will cover it up completely. It's like tattoo cover-up make-up. I'm not sure if she has a contract that says she has to have it showing all of the time or not or that she can never have it removed?? But it will cost her about $600 per procedure to have it lasered off.

    If the boy does well in school - and after what his mom did he sooo better - then he can scholarship for college.

    Do people really buy their kids cars?

    I saw a picture of a father and son (both are in jail). The father has "Get 'Er Done" tattooed on his forehead (he's bald) and "Got 'Er Did" on the back of his head. Classy. The son has "F***" on one eyelid and "You" on the other. So when he is sleeping or blinking or looking down -- you've been verbally flipped the bird. Now that is healthy and awesome, eh?

    Silly idea, but it worked. I don't know though. Seems a bit extreme. Maybe she should have just refinanced her house or something.

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sold her forehead for too cheap a price. Let's assume she lives for 40 more years. That is $250 a year for this tattoo. That's less than a dollar a day to have THAT on THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill...I think I'd have to go with either baseball or football...then again, I do like #24...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi...my parents didn't buy me a car, but many do, from what I hear...Don't you know the tattooed guy and his sons brought great honor to their mothers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael...good perspective...I had not done the math...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking about the amount of advertising on those cars Steve and the amount of money it costs. I do like #24 but pay no attention to the races. I couldn't tell you who is ahead in the points race even. Football. Definitely not. Baseball? Maybe. Tour de France. Oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill...when did the tour de france become a sport? I thought it was just a bunch of skinny guys from europe going after a yellow jersey...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill, I think steve just volunteered to do a century. I've got the perfect route for him here in WNC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve,

    I'll give you 20 bucks for www.rickboyne.com ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the strangest things I've ever heard...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rick...make it $50 (cash only, no checks or credit cards please)...since you gave such a shameless plug!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Camey, you don't see "The Questionator" tattooed on your forehead any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. wasn't there a group of people in the Bible that wrote verses on their heads?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ummmm.. let me think... No. Although I have been told I wear it well.

    Two points for you for the "So"..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Steve, this is just plain sad. selahV

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.