Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'll Take Mine Medium, Please


Belarusian athletes who win gold medals at the Beijing Olympics will be provided with meat and sausage for the rest of their lives, a meat company said last week.

The women’s national basketball team, which will take part in the Olympic Games for the first time, will get the reward if they secure any medal, Boris Tsyporin, general director of Latvian-Belarusian meat and frozen foods producer Belatmeat, was quoted by Belarusian media as saying.

In addition to monetary rewards from Games organizers and sponsorship deals, Belarusian athletes will be given $100,000, $50,000, and 30,000 each in their home country for gold, silver and bronze medals respectively.

Too bad I wasn’t born as a Belarusian! I love meat. Especially red meat! Heck, I’ll eat sausage, if I need to. Are hot dogs considered meat?

I wonder how long it will be before Belarusian athletes start looking like NASCAR drivers and cyclists with their sponsors’ logos all over their uniforms?

I guess the days of competing simply because you love the sport or competing is over.

What do you think? Have amateur athletics become too professional?

7 comments:

  1. "Have amateur athletics become too professional?"

    Just say "NBA" players in the Olympics.

    I read where Michael Phelps ALREADY gets $5,000,000 in endorsements!

    'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick...if you and I only had the bodies, determination, drive, and skill of these amateur athletics, we might be making the same!

    To bad rugged good looks isn't an event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then again, you and I may wind up hating each other...because we'd be jealous over who won!

    And, there's not doubt about that...at least in my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll wear sponsors on my clothes when I preach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin...all of your problems are solved!

    * LifeWay
    * Guidestone
    * NAMB
    * IMB
    * Your favorite seminary/college

    Those would be a few to contact first! I can see you now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait. I'm confused. How are Olympians amateurs? Aren't they the absolute best in the world?

    I don't know guys. I think they deserve the endorsements. They've worked their whole lives for this moment. They've trained their butts off. They've sacrificed A LOT more than we can imagine for their athletic talents. Their parents for the most part have invested TONS of money and time into their talented and determined kids.

    Every time I see the young men and women competing in the Olympics I just imagine how proud I would be of my child if he or she were ever there. Not only competing, but winning too. I would be all goosebumps from head to toe.

    The swim guys are breaking world records left and right. Amateur? I think not. Expert -- now that's more like it.

    Or did I misunderstand you?

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.