Thursday, August 21, 2008

Our Time in the Wilderness


In ancient Christian literature there is a remarkable story of an 18-year-old man named Anthony. Anthony lived in the third or fourth century in a time when paganism was a dominant force in the world.

His parents were pious Egyptian Christians who raised him well, taught him the importance of the Christian faith and prayer.

On his way to church each week, Anthony would meditate on the lives of the apostles and how they left everything to follow Christ. One day, in church, Anthony heard the following words (from Matthew 19:21): “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

Anthony soon gave away his inheritance, left home, and went into the desert to serve God in solitude. I can’t begin to describe just how difficult the hardships were that he faced in the Egyptian desert. He suffered from hunger, thirst, and the extremes of temperature. At times Anthony became exhausted and was tempted to return to the world, but with a strong faith in God, he conquered these temptations.

After Anthony had lived in seclusion for twenty years, his friends found where he was living and went to visit him. They expected that he would be weak, close to death, or mentally ill from his seclusion. Yet, they were astonished to find him completely healthy and without a trace of physical exhaustion. Calm, reserved, and friendly to everyone, Anthony captivated his visitors with his love, sensitivity, and spiritual wisdom.

News about Anthony spread throughout Egypt. People flocked to him in large numbers, some for help and advice, some to enrich themselves with the grace that radiated from him, and some to become permanent residents, living close to him in imitation of his monastic lifestyle.

In our Western Christianity way of thinking, we don’t have much room for monastic living, do we? Even though Jesus Himself often lived the basic elements of such a lifestyle, we don’t see how it fits our “modern-day” way of living. Didn’t Jesus live a life of voluntary poverty? Celibacy? Rigorous fasting, continual prayer, and life in the desert? In Mark 1:12, we are told that after His baptism, “immediately the Spirit drove Him into the wilderness” and He spent forty days fasting and facing the temptations of Satan.

Jesus also went to solitary places in order to pray through the night or to commune with the Father. (See Matthew 14:23; Mark 1:35; Luke 5:16.)

Why do we find it so difficult to get alone with God? Are we afraid of what we will hear? Are we afraid of what we might discover about God? About ourselves?

Is there anything that drives you to the wilderness? To be alone with God? To be alone with yourself?

If you don’t mind, share your thoughts with us.

4 comments:

  1. I think there are several reasons why people have trouble being alone with God. One major reason is that we are so used to noise that quiet drives us nuts. Another reason is that God seems like such a stranger to us that we are afraid we will go to that quiet place and start asking, :What now?"

    What drives me to the wilderness? Sometimes it is the overwhelming realization that I have no where else to go. I have exhausted all my human ingenuity and realize that I have made a mess of things. Sort of like Peter asked, "Where else shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

    Good post Steve. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind comments Bill.

    Isn't it sad that we wait until we have exhausted all of our human ingenuity before we turn to the God of Creation? Most of us do it, even His own disciples did it. It's almost like we can't just trust Him...or simply go to Him first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to wonder if that drive to "try our way first" is part of the fallen nature we have. Or is it just plain selfishness? We are trained from day one to begin fending for ourselves. Even with Evan you are trying to teach him to do things on his own and you would worry if at age 3 you are still feeding him or age 16 still dressing him. :) (That would be one way to keep the crotch of his pants above his knees-Ha) Anyway, we are expected to go on our own. Why not spiritually as well when Jesus says, "No, let Me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the idea that I go to the wilderness as a last resort. Why? Honestly, for me it has to do with pride. I feel that I can do anything if I try hard enough. It is only when I realize that I can't do something, that I turn to God. It's pretty sad really.

    I'm working on trying to give control over to God, but it is difficult when I am successful (by the world's standards) on my own. I have to remind myself that no matter how successful I am now, if God is involved in every aspect of my life, I will be more successful than I could have ever imagined (even if I become poor and homeless).

    And another thing that might stop me from being alone with God is, what exactly does that mean? What does it mean to listen to God? What does it mean to wait for Him?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.