Friday, August 15, 2008

We ID Anyone Appearing to Be Under 21


Just nine months before the Beijing Olympic Games, the Chinese government’s news agency, Xinhua, reported that gymnast He Kexin was 13. At the age of 13, He would have been ineligible to be on the team that won a gold medal this week.

In its report on November 3, 2007, Xinhua identified He as one of “10 big new stars” who made a splash at China’s Cities Games. It gave her age as 13 and reported that she beat Yang Yilin on the uneven bars at those games.

The Associated Press found the Xinhua report on the site Thursday morning and saved a copy of the page. Later that afternoon, the Web site was still working but the page was no longer accessible. Sports editors at the state-run news agency would not comment for publication.

If the age reported by Xinhua was correct, that would have meant He was too young to be on the Chinese team that beat the United States on Wednesday and clinched China’s first women’s team Olympic gold in gymnastics. He is also a favorite for gold in Monday’s uneven bars final.

Yang was also on Wednesday’s winning team. Questions have also been raised about her age and that of a third team member, Jiang Yuyuan.

Gymnasts have to be 16 during the Olympic year to be eligible for the games. He’s birthday is listed as January 1, 1992.

Chinese authorities insist that all three are old enough to compete. He herself told reporters after Wednesday's final that “my real age is 16. I don’t pay any attention to what everyone says.”

Zhang Hongliang, an official with China’s gymnastics delegation at the games, said Thursday the differing ages which have appeared in Chinese media reports had not been checked in advance with the gymnastics federation.

Asked whether the federation had changed their ages to make them eligible, Zhang said: “We are a sports department. How would we have the ability to do that?”

Well, Zhang, that brings up a couple of interesting questions for me.

First, how would you have the ability to do that? Let me ask you this: How would you have the capability to use computer generated fireworks to make the opening ceremonies look even better? Oh, and play it off as “real” fireworks until caught red-handed, yes, pun intended.

Secondly, how would you have the ability to do that? Let me ask you this: How would you have the capability or nerve to not allow a seven-year-old child not to sing on national TV simply because it wasn’t in your nation’s best interest? All because she wasn’t pretty enough? Red-handed again.

Now, a third issue comes up, this time for all the other nations completing in the gymnastic competition. Let’s say the girls are too young—they sure look 10-12 years old—how in the world were you beaten by such young children?

In my opinion, if they are too young, they should be disqualified from the competition, their medals returned, and China should face some kind of sanctions for future meets. However, come on. Letting children beat you?

One Chinese official, when asked about the gymnastics being too young, used this as his defense: well, how can you go by looks and say our athletics are too young. If you use that same standard, and apply that to the Americans and others, then you might have to say they look older because of the growth hormones they are on!”

What a great defense there! Ours may be too young, but yours are on drugs!

Not sure I would have expected anything less from the Chinese government! Sounds like they are caught red-handed again.

10 comments:

  1. I have such a bad taste for China in my mouth already. Anything they do just increases my disdain for them. I feel so sorry for the people who live under that government. They are warped.

    On the other hand, our gymnasts are being little whiners. Silver is still an awesome accomplishment. For real.

    Off to the beach -- again! :)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi...you just want people to hate you, don't you?

    Off to the beach, AGAIN???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you Steve. (are you surprised?) And I certainly agree with Heidi. I was reading yesterday about the sanctions china has put on visiting countries (especially the US) about practicing their faith. Hogwash! I, like Heidi, have a really bad taste in my mouth for china and this makes it feel like I am going to upchuck. you make some good points. And I like your "sly" use of puns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my 10 year old daughter looks older than the entire Chinese team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were talking about this at football practice last night.

    From what I have read, and I am nowhere near an "expert" or even particularly knowledgeable, but there IS an advantage of 12 and 13 year old girls over those a bit older.

    Ever seen how flexible little kids are?

    Ever seen how awkward a girl going through puberty is?

    Ever seen a little girl that after puberty was tall and heavier and developed?


    I daresay, these little girls are taken at 2, 3 or 4 and trained for nothing but the Olympics. Still amateurs? Probably not, but as China has so eloquently shown, they really don't care for reality, do they?

    Silver is a great accomplishment, but if someone cheats to get the gold, it is really not fair, and I would be upset as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin...according to the Chinese coaches, there's an easy answer to why your 10 year old looks older: Growth Hormone shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karma...good observations! I did not think about that! Silly man!

    Silver is a great accomplishment as long as cheating isn't a part. If all things are equal, I would hope they wouldn't whine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karma,
    You hit the nail on the head when you said that they don't care for reality!

    All they care about are appearances. (and preserving their death-grip, I mean the politburo, I mean central government.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve: Noooo. Well, a little maybe. My sweet daughter starts school in 2 weeks so we're banging out the summer now. Plus I feel better than I did a few weeks ago so I can do more. And tan fat looks better than pale fat. Anyway.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  10. So...when do we start the occupation and regime changing? Bueller? Bueller?
    (grin)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.