Thursday, July 31, 2008

Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!



Those wacky Germans are at it again. Last week, they welcomed presidential-hopeful Obama, with a great welcome. Now, some fine citizens of Berlin are in the news. It seems that two police officers who responded to complaints about a raucous weekend party in western Germany were mistaken for male strippers by the female guests.

Police spokesman Bernd Hoffmann said neighbors called police around 12.45 a.m. Sunday to complain about noise from a birthday party in their building.

A round of applause from the apartment resident—who had just turned 30—and her friends greeted two officers who went to investigate. Hoffmann said that “they thought the policemen were dressed like that because they were strippers. It took them a while to realize they were real police officers.” Hoffmann said the women had not ordered strippers but thought someone had sent them as a birthday surprise.

The incident resulted in no arrests.

I don’t really remember my 30th birthday. I’m not even sure I had a 30th birthday party. But, if I had, I can guarantee you that if police officers had shown up for the party, I would have known they were there because some law was being violated and not that they were strippers sent by some friends!

I didn’t and I still don’t have friends like that. That’s good.

I remember my parents teaching me as a child that you are known by the company you keep. Obviously, the 30 year-old birthday girl has friends who would send strippers to her party. Maybe she herself has or would send strippers to someone’s party. I don’t mean to be judgmental, but those aren’t the kinds of friends I want to have or that I want any one in my family to have.

Today is my baby brother’s birthday (well, he’s the only brother I have and I am older than him, so that does make him my baby birthday). And no bro, you won’t be seeing any strippers sent from me. If you are lucky, you’ll receive a Hallmark card from me. Just remember, if police show up, I’d take seriously whatever they tell you. They’ll be the real thing!

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your little bro!

    Funny you posting about strippers. I was just listening to part of a conversation - occupational hazard ya know... It went something like this:

    "Yes, we'll strip and then hose down."

    pause.. pause..

    "It'll be hot. But stripping is necessary."

    Context is vitally important! He was talking about a floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the Berlin b'day girl wished she had learned the important lesson context a bit earlier! Maybe, like, on her 29th b'day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh yeah. I have a story about this precise subject. And it WAS my 30th birthday. I hate strippers. Not the people, but what they do (just to clarify) and I always have. My boss and his wife got some weirdo idea that for my 30th birthday they would have a stripper show up at work posing as a customer. It was the strangest, most embarrassing situation I have ever been in. When I wouldn't uncover my face or play along he decided to do his thing with the other women in the office. It was disgusting and embarrassing and I highly doubt they will ever do such a thing ever again. What were they thinking? Seriously. I still wonder about that move. Dumb. Unprofessional. Tacky. I can come up with all kinds of descriptions for that idea.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi...that is terrible! How awful of an experience...

    Talk about poor taste...and a lawsuit just waiting to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro. Steve,
    I love your blog page. Great pictures of Evan and some very interesting reading. I have saved your blog spot to my "Favorites" on my computer. Not everyone makes my "Favorites." You are among a privileged few. Give Tonya and Evan our love and keep on blogging.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks John my friend. Keep coming back...and back and back...

    I always need someone coming to my rescue!

    And once you get your blog set up, let me know and I'll add it to my list! Then, at least three or four of my huge fan back (of five) will check out your site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey John, You need to keep coming back and rescue Steve! He will tell you from fellow bloggers but don't believe him. :) Just be careful not to come back as a cop. And if Steve will back you then I will also include you on my blogroll. Then again....if Steve...:)

    Camey: you are too funny.

    Heidi: not a cool thing to do by your boss & his wife. What were they thinking? Will they learn from this? Let's hope so. i do respect you for your obvious embarrassment and hiding your face. Good stand to take.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.