Thursday, August 7, 2008

Give Me A Break!


A death row inmate scheduled for execution in October says he’s so fat that Ohio executioners would have trouble finding his veins and that his weight could diminish the effectiveness of one of the lethal injection drugs.

Lawyers for Richard Cooey argued in a federal lawsuit that Cooey had poor veins when he faced execution five years ago and that the problem has been worsened by weight gain. They cite a document filed by a prison nurse in 2003 that said Cooey had sparse veins and that executioners would need extra time.

The lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court in Columbus, also says prison officials have had difficulty drawing blood from Cooey for medical procedures. Cooey is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 267 pounds, according to the lawsuit.

Now, Mr. Cooey is too fat (using his own words) to be executed, but I notice that Mr. Cooey wasn’t too fat (again, using his own words) to rape and murder two female University of Akron students in 1986. Fat stops executions but not rape and murder, at least, according to Mr. Cooey.

Mr. Cooey’s public defender, Kelly Culshaw Schneider, said Monday, “All of the experts agree if the first drug doesn’t work, the execution is going to be excruciating.”

One question I’d like to ask Ms. Culshaw Schneider: “So what?”

Ms. Culshaw Schneider, I wonder how the two young college students felt as they were being raped? Wonder how it felt to be murdered by your client? Wonder how their families have felt since 1986 watching your fat client gain one stay of execution after another?

Stories like this make me angry. Yes, we are all entitled to our day in court and we should all have proper representation, but come on! Twenty-two years of this stuff? Give me a break!

12 comments:

  1. As I read this Steve I could feel the blood begin to boil. Okay not that drastic but I was getting irritated. If you hadn't asked the question I would have: "So what?" Excruciating pain? Who really gives a rip? Forge the injection then. Pull him in the chair and throw the stinking switch! This should have been done long time ago. And they wonder why there is overcrowding in the prisons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hang him. Or castrate him without pain meds and let him bleed to death. How about an eye for an eye. Feed him to the brutal inmates who rape men, then when that's done feed him to the ones who murder men. Then he'll get to see what it was like for those poor women.

    When I read stories like this it really disgusts me. To the core.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Bill, was it your blood pressure or mine that was about to boil over?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi,

    I don't know whether or not I should agree with you. In my gut, I fully do. But, at the same time, I don't like seeing anyone suffer, not even the likes of this murderer/rapist. I know he didn't care how much his victims suffered...and the question could be asked, "Why should we care how much he suffers!" My biggest concern, I want him to pay for his crimes! And, I want him to do so sooner, rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TO ALL,

    What role do Christ followers play in situations like this? What attitude do we need to have? How do we balance the need for punishment and the concern for his soul?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is a struggle I have Steve. I want to be compassionate but hard at the same time. I will jokingly say, "Hang him up by his toenails" but this is not a joking matter. I see 22 years as a pretty long time for outreach and also playing the system. I struggle because of forgiveness but at the same time he needs to pay. Playing the system like he has for 22 years is way too long. And it appears it will go on longer. Over veins that aren't prominent enough and he will have pain? Give me a break! I may not want to prolong his agony like Heidi but he needs to be taken care of. But at the same time I can see her point. Then again, will he care? Sorry if this sounds un-Christlike but...

    Blood pressure? probably both of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess we could give him a diet. Not only would it help him lose weight, but it would be cheaper for the state.

    Or, we could just hang him. No need for veins there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder how Richard Cooey would feel reading your post? I'm sure he'd repent immediately and get to go to heaven. To spend all of eternity with you. One question, So what? That fat so and so should burn in hell! He deserves it! Everybody should pay for their sins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jimmy...to be honest with you, I'm trying to figure you out. I've looked at your blog and I know I'm slow, but I don't get it. Would you mind sharing a little about yourself, views, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The inmate's excuse is downright silly.

    There is more than one way to skin a cat.

    Speaking of skinned cats........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Troll.

    Except he does have you on his blogroll. Interesting.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmm..."someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion", well, as my stepdaughter would say; yes and no. I don't mind being controversial, heck, I proudly wear the title of "pot-stirrer" given to me by Robin Meadows. I don't mind stirring up an emotional response, as most of my responses like this are in response to my emotions being stirred. I don't even mind being disruptive, but I DO very much try to keep whatever comments I make on topic. Spam is spam. I hate spam. Not a Hawaiian(grin).
    If you do figure out what I'm doing "here", please let me know. I've been trying to figure that out for over a year now.(grin)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.