Sunday, November 9, 2008

Prohibition Day


The symbol to the left is call a Prohibition Symbol. Honest, it is! I'm not sure why. Maybe I should have taken the time to research it a little more, but I'm not going to do that today. If any reader wants to take the time to research it and to share with our readers, that would be greatly appreciated. But, for now, just know that it is a prohibition symbol or sign.

The point today is not the meaning behind the symbol. The point today is what I am not going to do. Today, I am not going to spend time on the computer reading blogs or commenting on my own blog. I'm having a "No Computer Day." So, should you feel led to comment here today, please be nice. If you chose not to be nice, I'll simply delete your comment tomorrow. And, the great thing about Sitemeter (that little counter at the bottom right of my page) is that I will know who was being naughty and who was being nice! (And, I'm not above telling Santa!) I think some blog readers forget that every time they log on to a blog site, it is being recorded. I know who visits my site, for the most part, on any given day, all by the IP address left behind.

Well, today is "No Computer Day." It's not a national event, it is just my own personal decision to unplug for the day. I have a terrible habit of staying connected. I don't know what drives me to do that, but I have that urge to keep up, to know what is happening, and to see what others have said.

I made the decision this past week to disconnect more often. I've started by not reading my email at night. After a very frustrating email on Monday night, that literally woke me up at 2:00 AM and would not let me go back to sleep, I decided enough was enough. Well, in truth, I can't blame the email or the person who sent it. The email didn't keep me awake, I allowed the email to keep me awake for most of the night.

I won't do that again! I've told the people I work with not to expect an email reply after I leave in the afternoons. And, I'm telling you here, if you email me after quitting time, you'll hear back from me first thing in the morning.

Now, I'm still going to blog and facebook from home. Those things are not work. They are for fun and relaxation. So, don't be surprised if you comment on my blog at 7:00 PM to see me respond within a few minutes. As my wife grades papers, I'd rather be blogging than to be watching TV.

Just don't expect those things today.

Anyway, it is Sunday.

My computer needs a rest, a day off. Afterall, who even reads blogs on Sunday? I know a few of you do--you are kind of like the group of people who go to Sunday night worship! The cream of the crop! Now, if you are reading this on Monday, you are still good--but the cream rose to the top yesterday! :)

Have a great day today. May the King be real to you in all that you do for Him today!

And, thanks. Thanks for reading. Thanks for commenting. Thanks for the sense of family and community when I come here.

I'll be interested to see tomorrow who visited my site today!

Happy Prohibition Sign Day!

13 comments:

  1. Okay...so you caught me. I am one of those who reads blogs on Sunday...some blogs not all. Now that should make you feel really really important that I read yours even on an off day. I pray that you had a phenomenal day of worship. Glad I am part of the community. I may actually be unplugging for a few days since I will be at theSticks and not have a computer. Wiiiiiiillllll I survive??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Heidi. I am addicted to your blog. At this very moment my IP address is being recorded. I even came out of Google reader to respond to your post because I have a disorder called blogaritis. Send help if you can.

    I hope you enjoyed your unplugged day. I unplugged for a few hours Thursday and Friday. It was nice.

    Heidi

    PS: Wait, I'm the creme de la creme. Hey. That's a compliment. Alrighty then!! WooHoo! Back to blogging. Ha!!!

    PSS (or is it PPS): I have received nasty e-mails too about my blog. They have also upset me to the point that I've thought I would quit blogging. Choose your focus. I chose mine and you see where I sit. Back in the squeaky chair. Yep. Don't let them get to you. You have great insight and you're doing a fantastic job. You're teaching me and I rely on you for help if I ever need it. You've come to my "rescue" more than once. And I frequently tell my husband how honored I am that godly men visit my site and help me stay in line.

    Ok -- good bye now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill...trust me...every time you comment, I am honored! As a pastor, I know you have thousands of things to do a day...especially on Sunday. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, you are always welcome here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi! I'm Steve...

    I'm addicted to your blog as well...you always share from your heart...and I am always challenged by what you feel led to share...keep writing...keep sharing...and, oh, keep coming back here and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Monday... Good morning Steve! Hope you and yours had a wonderful day together yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did Camey...thanks for asking...hope you guys did as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your post on my feeder, but didn't actually come here on Sunday. Does that count?

    And, I "took" your challenge, to some degree. I didn't work much until late last night. Would have taken the whole weekend off, but those customers, they want their pictures. :P

    I don't think I've ever made anyone mad on my blog -- I've never gotten any mail as such, anyway. Of course, I only have three or four readers, and they are a pretty easy going bunch. hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karma...what you did counts...

    And as far as your site goes...I know you have far more than three or four...your site is too well done for that to be the case...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve,

    Happy to help on the origin of the symbol...

    Hope your unplugged day was relaxing and you didn't have frothing fits of witdrawal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well...Will...I must admit that it was a bit disconcerting to be unplugged for an entire day...by nightfall, I was missing you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay... Blog post coming Tuesday about what all is and has been going on with the G family lately.

    I had planned on being unplugged until tomorrow (Tuesday).. Silly weather!

    You're welcome Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read it on Sunday, but didn't want to admit it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rick...confession is good for the soul...even 3 days later...I know you needed to get this off your chest before prayer meeting tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.