Monday, November 24, 2008

A Victory for "Christmas"

Several weeks ago, I featured a blog about a New York State city who had changed the name of their annual Christmas parade, to make it more “inclusive.” Well, their desire for being inclusive really, really, really didn’t work—if you go by numbers of people who attended!

The annual Patchogue, New York, annual parade of boats on a Long Island river that dropped “Christmas” from its name has apparently lost lots of supporters. About 1,000 people showed up Sunday for the Patchogue Boat Parade of Lights. That’s 500 fewer than usually showed up when it was called the Patchogue Christmas Boat Parade.

Brookhaven-based fireworks company Fireworks by Grucci dropped its sponsorship after the Greater Patchogue Foundation removed “Christmas” from the parade’s name. The change was made after some residents complained the name wasn’t inclusive enough.

Grucci vice president Philip Butler opposes the secularization of Christmas. His supporters encouraged area residents to stay away from the parade on Patchogue River.

Well, the way I see it, in two years, the inclusiveness of their decision will kill the annual parade and it will be no more. Maybe as it should be! Or, do you think the parade officials will listen to the majority of people and change the name back to what had worked for years?

I’m going to keep watching this and see what happens in the future.

Dropping the name “Christmas” to be inclusive? Give me a break!


8 comments:

  1. Know what I love about sending my daughter to a Christian school? She sings Christian Christmas songs and Santa isn't shoved down her throat. It's awesome.

    You know, Steve, these people can try to take Christ out of whatever. They will NEVER take Him out of our hearts or lives. Ever! More power to them because at the end of the end "every knee will bow and every tongue will confess". Right? Now won't THAT be awesome??!!!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi...I couldn't agree with you more!

    I love reading the excitement in your typing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish more organizations took a stand for the Reason for the Season!

    Standing-O for those businesses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Heidi. I have mixed emotions about some of this stuff but i do applaud the fireworks company for standing on their values. I often wonder if the minority will ever get the majority? Doubt it. Keep us posted on this Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. THERE WERE LESS PEOPLE THIS BECAUSE IT WAS ABSOLUTELY FEEZING OUT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OF COURSE--I MEANT "FREEZING" (THEY'RE STILL FROZEN FROM LAST NIGHT AT THE PARADE!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I see you are from New York, so I assume you really know it was cold.

    Please feel free to comment as often as you would like about any subject. I would ask you to take the ALL CAPS off when you do--otherwise, you appear to be yelling.

    And to my southern ears, we'd hate for a northerner to be yelling at us...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You won't BELIEVE what the theme of our city's Christmas parade is this year: "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Birth of Jesus Christ!"

    Of course, we are on the buckle of the Bible belt.

    Our church couldn't figure out how we'd come up with a float (that we could handle) within that theme, so we are going to pull a pontoon boat with signs that says, "Immanuel Baptist Church - Making Fishers of Men" and have people with life jackets and fishing poles throwing out candy.

    Lame I know. But we're happy with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.