Saturday, November 8, 2008

Only Makes Sense



Sometimes, you really don’t need to read the entire story to know what happens in the end.

Here’s a case in point.

An airline crew had to use duct tape (duct tape has to be the best invention ever!) to keep a passenger in her seat because they say she became unruly, fighting flight attendants, and grabbing other passengers, forcing the flight to land in North Carolina.

Maria Esther Castillo was due in court this week, charged with resisting arrest and interfering with the operations of a flight crew aboard United Airlines Flight 645, from Puerto Rico to Chicago.

Castillo, 45, struck a flight attendant on the buttocks with the back of her hand during Saturday’s flight, FBI Special Agent Peter Carricato said in a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Charlotte. She also stood and fell onto the head of a blind passenger and later started pulling the person’s hair, the complaint stated.

Ankle cuffs kept slipping off Castillo, so the flight crew and two passengers were forced to use duct tape to keep her in her seat, the complaint states.

Ms. Castillo calmed down as the pilot diverted the flight to Charlotte-Douglass International Airport, but became disruptive again when authorities boarded the plane to remove her, authorities said.

Now, here’s the part you really don’t have to read—I’m sure by now you know the rest of the story. But, humor me, go ahead and read the next paragraph anyway.

The FBI agent said that a passenger saw Castillo having drinks in an airport bar before boarding. She bought another drink on the plane. Flight attendants stopped serving her alcohol because of her behavior, the complaint states.

Was there any doubt what caused the problem? Did you really have to read the words?

I don’t drink. Never have. Never really wanted to. I understand many people do drink and most never have a problem. But, how many times do we read stories just like this, and the cause always seems to be alcohol related.

In my job, I have to fly from time-to-time. The next time you read that I am about to fly, please remind me to pack some duct tape in my bag. You just never know when it might come in handy!

5 comments:

  1. I agree Steve! Duct tape is the greatest invention ever. Even MacGyver knew that. Speaking of which: I wonder how much duct tape sells went up after his show hit the TV? have a great weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - except you'll be stopped by security, asked a 1000 questions about said tape, and then immediately booked as a weirdo sex offender and made to wear an electronic ankle bracelet for 30 days. But you go right ahead and take that tape on the plane with you.

    I like alcohol, but I know my limit -- which is like 1 drink if I want to feel relaxed, 2 drinks if I want to make stupid jokes, 3 drinks if I want to embarrass myself, 4 drinks if I want to embarrass others, 5 drinks and I'm peeing myself in public. Yeah. Nice. LOL!!

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill...I've been wondering whether duct tape will leave a mark on Evan, should I tape him to the floor? Any experience with that one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...Heidi...personal experience with taking the tape thing at the airport...you sure seem to know a lot about it!

    Also, glad you know your limit...and I hope Rich makes sure he keeps a close count on the number ordered by you or for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve: LOL - no I really don't know what they'd do about tape. But they will search inside your undies for a wine bottle stopper. That I have experience with. It seems that sort of thing is a weapon of mass destruction and could cause major airline troubles and hijackings -- even if you, as passenger, are 3 months pregnant -- they trust no one. And what was I doing with that all preggo and stuff -- a gift from my sister to everyone who came to her wedding. I even forgot it was in there. They believed me and I was allowed to refold and repack my undies. Sheesh.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.