Thursday, July 24, 2008

Don't Forget the Condiments

A few years ago, I served on a volunteer fire department. I was the chaplain (supposedly) and fireman (more times than I could count). In a rural area, the only people left in the community during the day are retired people and preachers. Well, I wasn’t retired. So, during the day, I was actually needed to respond to emergency calls.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I was poorly trained to serve on the fire department. At no point during high school, college, or seminary did I ever receive proper training to respond to an emergency fire call, or car accident, for that matter. So, I watched the other firemen, read all I could, and attended our training times each week.

Even though we were a small fire department, we had our fair share of calls. In any given year, we could have 100 or so calls. I realize that if you compare those numbers to a large city or a paid fire department, those numbers are almost insignificant, yet, those calls kept us very busy.

One call I’ll always remember. The call came in about midnight. I jumped into my clothes, hurried to the fire station, and off we went. Unfortunately, the house was fully engulfed in flames. We did our best, fighting the fire for nearly an hour. However, even with our best efforts, the house was a total loss. After an hour, the fire was out and our work was done. We loaded up our equipment and headed back to the station.

I was back in bed by 1:45 AM. I finally dosed off around 2:15 or so. Around 2:30, my pager activated again, we were being dispatched to a fire call. When I arrived at the station, we were told that it was to the same house we had left earlier. Apparently, the house flamed up again. So, for the next thirty minutes, we doused the house with water. Back to the station we went again, more tired than the first time.

Around 4:00 AM, my pager again activated. Same story, third verse. The same house. Flamed up again. Thirty minutes of pouring water. Back to the station.

At 5:15, back to the same house, for the fourth time. By now, we were exhausted and aggravated. To say we didn’t care, well, might be a little strong, but not too strong. Thirty minutes. More water. Fire out. Again.

Then, 6:15 AM. Pager again. Same house again. This time, the firemen were much slower in returning the station. Finally, the gang was mostly there, all but one guy. In a second, he pulled up to the station and made his way to the trucks. He was holding something in his hand. He lifted up the bag, with a huge smile on his face, and said, “Heck, if we are going back to the same fire, we might as well have some marshmallows to roast!”

Yes, he had brought marshmallows. To a fire. To roast. To be used by our fireman.

We would never do that! Well, not on the first, second, third, or even fourth call. But, on the fifth call to the same house…let’s just say they were good!




9 comments:

  1. Should have brought the chocolate and graham crackers and made a feast out of it. I like the guys sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...you either laugh or cry at life...this time, we chose to laugh! Not at the homeowners expense, but just to keep our sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By that call, the damage was done, so not a lot left.

    Our VFDs are also small (and the chaplain also fights the fires) but get a lot of calls. Within two weeks this spring two houses in one community burned. At the first, two little girls were killed with their grandmother. At the second, one little girl was killed and another was in pretty bad shape, last I heard. One of the little girls at the first house, and the little girl at the second house, were both in the same Kindergarten class. :( I got really upset because people were giving the VFDs all kinds of grief. Questions like, "Why do you show up underequipped?" "Why can't you get there faster?" etc.

    It is a very rural area, and some of them are literally driving 10 or 15 miles to get to the station and then another 10 or so to the fire.

    As far as equipment, well, they can only buy what they have money to buy. :(

    Back to non-serious, I agree with bill, totally -- definitely needed chocolate and graham crackers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad Karma...we were very fortunate in our community. During the time I served on the fire department, we only had two deaths, one in a house fire and the other in a car wreck. Low numbers for any fire department.

    Our fire district was huge...we probably covered an area that was 15 miles by 15 miles square. In looking at those numbers, you quickly realize that it takes at least 20 minutes to get there! By the time the firemen arrived at the station and we drove the huge trucks that far, and hoping traffic would get out of our way, its a wonder we saved anything--but we did save far more than we lost!!!

    I'll never forget responding to a wreck. I was driving the truck, with our lights and sirens going. I came up behind a car, with a woman, bopping to the music in her car. She didn't see nor hear us! So, I'm right on her bumper, can't pass and she's poking along. I blow our air horn (about as loud as anything can be)...I thought she was going to come out the roof of her hard-topped car! Needless to say, she probably had to go home and change clothes that day! As she should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gives one reason why headphones should be outlawed while driving(if she was wearing them).

    How sad karma. Man, i would not have wanted to be the chaplain on those. Dealing with it in a church is bad enough. But like that and that close together? Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, believe it or not, being there really helped...the families got to see me "work" as a fireman, doing my best to save their property and their lives, then they saw me "work" as the chaplain, minister. It reminded me of how Jesus met physical needs before meeting spiritual needs. Being a fireman sure broke down any barriers that might have overwise prevented me from being His witness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see your point steve. Ministry takes place often under the harshest of circumstances. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is hilarious, in a sick sort of way...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well...Rick...glad I made you smile, in a sick sort of way...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.