Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Naked Truth



The following news story may be the funniest one I have read in a long time!

At least, it is certainly one of the most ironic ones I have seen!

Here’s the story. New York City’s famous (or is that infamous) Naked Cowboy was scheduled to be in a San Francisco court earlier this week after being arrested last week while singing in his underwear.

Robert Burck, better known as the Naked Cowboy, was clad only in skin-tight underpants, cowboy boots, and a hat, when he was busted on a sidewalk just outside of Union Square for performing his act in a restricted area.

Burck, Mr. Naked, said the West Coast cops didn't immediately recognize him as Times Square’s most famous street performer—and mocked his familiar ensemble when they got him back to the station. “It was nonstop. They’re laughing hysterically because there’s this guy in his underwear,” Naked told a newspaper.

The arresting officer claimed Burck violated rules posted in Union Square against soliciting and playing an instrument. He was given a citation for “violating a posted sign.”

The question I have for the San Francisco police department is this: Have you seen the annual gay pride day parade that goes through your city? Have you seen the daily obscene and vile acts that take place in your city? Or, did you simply turn your head and look the other way when those things were going on?

I certainly don’t condone the Naked Cowboy’s routine. I think anyone who sings on the street corner, in his underwear (in 100 degree weather or 20 degree weather) is a few fries short of a happy meal anyway! I can’t sing a lick, maybe Naked can’t either. And, his Naked Cowboy routine us just a good way to hide that fact! But, standing in public, with your boots, hats, and underwear, day-in-and-day-out, something just ain’t right about it! Ain’t right!

Do you find the actions of the SFPD to be just a little ironic?

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I would be tempted to ask the same question you asked, "'Scuze me? Have you seen that parade that goes through your city?" I think it is called selective vision. As for Naked...no comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I would call it selective vision; I think they have literally been blinded by their sins and wickedness for so long that they no longer know right from wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised by any inconsistent "thing" they do on the Left Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick...I spent a few days out there back in the spring...I think you've hit the nail on the head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what you wrote, the police officers didn't say a thing about his "attire" or "lack thereof"...they simply hauled him in for violating the "performing" statutes as posted in the signs at the park...

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point Phil...I missed that observation!

    Maybe they are being totally consistent! We don't care what you do, just don't break the law while you are doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does this mean that the gay pride parade can't have a marching band anymore? Dang!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.