Tuesday, July 1, 2008

High Price of Gasoline is Taking A Toll



You might want to remember the names Sadie and Pyper Vance. These two young girls are from Salt Lake City, Utah. No, they are household names, yet. No, they aren’t known for a connection with the Mormon church. Or, at least as far as I know.

Sadie and Pyper Vance have had just about enough of high gas prices. Even though the two sisters are still years away from being old enough to drive or vote, they believe the high price of gasoline is still hitting them as hard as anyone else and they want everyone to feel their pain.

Cable TV was one of the family’s first budget-cutting casualties. That cost-cutting measure left Sadie, 9, and her 7-year-old sister without their favorite cartoons and shows.

So, the two girls did what other people have done over various issues that touch their lives, they took to the streets in protect. Last week, they formed a two-girl protest march in downtown Salt Lake City.

Sadie said, “Gas prices are too high! I just decided to come and protest so they’d go down.”

The girls chanted and carried signs made from old campaign signs.

“All of my mom’s monny goes to the gas tank!” Pyper’s sign read. Sadie carried a sign asking drivers to honk to lower gas prices—adding that her mom had to cut “cabel.”

The girls got some waves and a few thumbs-up to show support.

Now, after reading their signs, I must say that I am very proud that these two young citizens have learned to be vocal about current issues! They are setting a great example for some of us lazy grownups who will never pick up a protest sign or sign a petition or call a company to object to something the company did.

I appreciate their mom for taking them downtown to protest, to speak their mind, and to draw attention to the current gasoline crisis.

However, I would say, after reading their signs, that since “cabel” has been cancelled due to all of their “monny” going into the gas tank, now might be a good time to practice their spelling!

As I said, I appreciate the girls’ intentions and the cuteness of their march. But, maybe a little more attention to their education might soften the blow of having less TV to watch. After all, what is more important, their education (spelling in particular) or watching more cartoons?

What do you think? Am I being too hard on the little girls?

3 comments:

  1. Man, am I glad i don't wurk fur you! Taking 2 yung ladys to task just for carrying sines. Remind me not to git on yur bad sid. Does sort of make you wonder about mom doesn't it? Probbly an English teecher. However, I would agree with you on this one. Perhaps some tutoring in spelling is in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Git a lyfe bil! U rite just fyne. I bet u preech fyne 2. I know ur mama is so proude of u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You betcha she were! I r smart two. She's prolly in heven right now and shakin her hid at r sillyness. But hey you gotchta have sum fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.