Monday, July 7, 2008

When a Kiss is More Than a Kiss

Okay. This news story is just too good to pass up! Really it is!

Michael McCarty is a 20-year-old Georgia Tech (Atlanta, Georgia) student. He claims that he met his dream girl, a fellow college student, online five years ago.

Now, Michael is preparing to meet his online girlfriend for the first time. And, Michael is worried that he doesn’t know how to kiss her. So, doing what any modern male would do, Michael has turned to the Internet for help.

McCarty placed an ad on Craigslist asking for “a girl to please teach me to kiss.” He says in the ad that his online girlfriend “tells me it’s a big turn-off if a guy doesn’t know how to kiss, and she even dumped her last boyfriend because of this.”

McCarty continued by saying, “I want to make a good first impression, but I’ve never kissed before!”

Then, in what may be the biggest understatement of the century, McCarty admitted: “I guess I’ve been on the computer too much playing video games and not going out and meeting people as much as I’d like to.”

Do you think Michael!

Oh, there are so many angles to this story. Where do I even begin? Well, a good blogger friend of mine (Bill the Cycle Guy) likes to make lists. So, in honor of Bill, here’s my lists of questions:

1) Michael is planning too far ahead! He’s already certain that he’s going to kiss his online girlfriend the first time they meet? Oh Michael, never make that assumption with a girl/woman!

2) You’ve been “dating” someone online for five years? Michael, there is a real world out there, with real people, and with real lives. Get out more!

3) Michael said, “I guess I’ve been on the computer too much playing video games and not going out and meeting people as much as I’d like to.” Anyone out there disagree with that assessment?

4) Your online girlfriend dumped her last boyfriend because he couldn’t kiss? How long ago was that Michael? You’ve been “dating” her for five years. Has she been dating anyone else during these last few years. Maybe she’s out of practice herself and won’t know the difference! And, if she has been dating someone during these past few years, you’ve got bigger problems than knowing how to kiss her.

5) What ever happened to romance? You meet someone. Hang out together at church or the mall or McDonald’s. Maybe hold her hand or put your arm around her waist or shoulders. Going straight for the kiss sure bypasses much of that “formality” I suppose. Maybe I am just showing my age.

Okay, blogger friends. Jump in here. Tell me your thoughts about Michael? Any words of wisdom for him?

13 comments:

  1. Very funny Steve. Take advantage of a guy you have only corresponded with on the computer. :) So here you are:

    1) He's dead meat in the real world.

    2) He's toast when it comes to this girl.

    3) He' a success in the computer world but an alien out of that world.

    4) He's got a rude awakening awaiting him when he tries to kiss this virtual girl for the first time. And after 5 years, she has played his song long enough.

    5) Mickey D's? That is the sure way to destroy any relationship as far as I am concerned. That is not real food.

    6) I am out of lists for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill...you can look at my comment as two-fold:

    1) I at least gave recognition to you and your Web site.

    OR

    2) You can believe my wife is correct when she says I have a great way of building friendships, especially by all the nice things I say about them!


    I knew my comment about Mickey D's would also draw a comment from you. I know, not real food!

    What will be ironic is if his "online girlfriend" is really named "Fred" who is serving 5-10 in the local jail! And, who is using his "free" time to go online to talk with Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    I thought I remember hearing from Uncle Jed that if you kiss, you had to get married!

    Now, that's really pushing it along.


    (The "Fred" part was funny, in a sick sort of way! )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick,

    Uncle Jed's advice gives a new meaning to child brides. As fast as the kids are growing up today, I'm sure we would be marrying 9 year olds!

    Sorry about the Fred part...I just couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the "fred" remark was pretty funny. Ok not real funny but it did bring a chuckle. Man, do our warped minds think alike?

    I will accept your friendship no matter how weird it may be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you have to admit, friendships come in all shapes, sizes, and Internet speeds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met my husband via the internet. We have been together 10 years. We will celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary in November. We have 2 kids and 1 on the way. I have to say... well, that's all I have to say. LOL!!

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heidi...I did notice that you didn't say you learned how to kiss from the Internet though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL - nope. Learned that at the tender age of 13 at a football game behind the bleachers. Ha!!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bernard...you get the award for the best reply today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heidi...I imagine your family is proud when you tell that story!

    See, unlike Michael from the post, you had a real life! With a real story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, they gave me a trophy and everything.

    ROFL! You are so funny!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.