Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pet Owners Of America, Unite!



(Peanut Heartsill--Our Dog)

Well, I now know who I am voting for in the November General Election. Or, should I say that my vote has been decided for me. You see, there’s a new poll out (and we know that politicians—both the Republican and Democratic kind—live, and yes, die by polls). So, my vote has been determined for me.

The new poll says that if the presidential election goes to the dogs, John McCain is looking like best in show. Apparently, and I have no first-hand knowledge of whether or not this is true, but apparently Barack Obama does not own a pet, while John McCain owns more than a dozen pets.

The AP-Yahoo News poll found that pet owners favor McCain over Obama 42 percent to 37 percent, with dog owners particularly in McCain’s corner.

Need more proof of McCain’s landslide in November? Here are some personal testimonies that will really tug at your heart:

“I think a person who owns a pet is a more compassionate person—caring, giving, trustworthy. I like pet owners,” said Janet Taylor of Plymouth, Massachusetts, who owns two cats.

Richard Powell, 79, of Spokane, Washington, whose dog passed away late last year, said that if a person owns a pet, that “tells you that they’re responsible at least for something, for the care of something.”

Well, if voters identify with a guy who owns pets, it’s easy to see why they’d like the Arizona senator. McCain has a veritable menagerie, including Sam the English springer spaniel, Coco the mutt, turtles Cuff and Link, Oreo the black and white cat, a ferret, three parakeets and a bunch of saltwater fish.

The poll continued by finding that among people who don’t have pets, Obama leads McCain 48 percent to 34 percent. But, before you get all excited about that news, you have to remember that even that news leaves McCain looking strong, since the majority of American homes have a pet.

I doubt you will be surprised by this next bit of information: even though Obama doesn’t currently own a pet, he has reportedly promised his daughters a dog once the campaign is over. Smart move Mr. Obama! You might want to go ahead and get one now to ride with you on your chartered bus and plane.

There you have it. The campaign is over! The politicking can end today. Pet owners of America have spoken loud and clear! McCain for President!

Now, before you think I have gone off the deep-end and endorsed one candidate over the other, please re-read the post, this time with your sense of humor back in tact! Please! I have no idea who will win in November, well, that’s not true. I know that either Obama or McCain will win. It’s really up to you and me to decide that—and not some silly poll of pet owners!

9 comments:

  1. Dang it! My choice has already been made for me. Or should I say they already know whom I will be voting for. Aaaahhhh...I don't have a pet. Can't stand cats and don't have a dog. I have wolf figurines. Do they count? And now you also know why I have problems with polls. They don't know squat. I wouldn't vote for...oops not supposed to tell. Now...why didn't they ask me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wolf figurines...please tell me those belong to Mrs. Cycleguy? Please?

    Bill, they didn't ask you (use your commonsense here) because you are a smart, educated, thoughtful person! They never ask people like that questions like this!

    Peanut said to tell you "hello."

    Either that, or she needs to go outside, one or the other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO sorry to burst your bubble there Steverino. Several years ago I was into wolves and the people of the church started buying them for me left and right. I got so many I had to stop. So sorry to burst your bubble about me.

    I take it peanut is your dog? With a name like that I am sure he isn't a Great Dane or Pyrenees. Please tell me he isn't!! Talk about playing with someone's manhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut is a real man's man kind of dog. She is a mix between a Dachshund and a Chihuahua. That should probably tell you all you really need to know about me! I am a whipped man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an animal tolerater. I don't have any. I don't ever plan to have any. I just don't do that whole pet thing. So I am going against the grain b/c I am not voting for BO.

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Heidi...why only a tolerance for pets? Bad experience? Let me introduce you to my dog! She'll make you become a real animal lover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve, I sorta own a dog. I inherited him from my son. And since I do like pets, I suppose that might clinch the deal for me, especially since it would take an act of God to get me to vote for BO. Anyone whose initials are BO smells a bit fishy to me.

    Hey Bill,
    My husband was into elephants for several years. And now we have so many we could open a novelty shop for the Republican Party. :)
    selahV

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. V., always an honor to have you stop by and comment!

    Maybe you, Bill, and I could open a shop together! I collect baseball cards...we would definitely attract a diverse audience or is it that we would attract no one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I would be nice to you and your dog and I might even baby talk to it or pet it or something like that. But when I leave your house or the park or whatever I would be dousing myself in hand sanitizer and would change my clothes when I got home.

    Now you get me, don't you? Yeah, I'm like that. ;)

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.