Sunday, July 13, 2008

One Question: Why?

I try not to bring controversy to my blog site. What I try to do is make us think a little bit, have some fun, and laugh at some of the crazy things we human beings do. However, every once in a while a news story comes around that literally makes my blood pressure go through the roof.

This news story did that to me.

It seems that a Kansas church plans a “gospel picket” at the funeral of 23-year-old Army Spc. Megan L. Touma, of Cold Spring, Kentucky. Police Sgt. John Somerindyke said that Westboro Baptist Church is seeking a city permit for July 16 to picket at her funeral.

If you aren’t familiar with Westboro Baptist Church, they are well-known for picketing and harassing mourners at funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They claim that war casualties are divine revenge for America tolerating gays and lesbians.

A fellow blogger friend interviewed a member of the church a few years ago. Click here to see the interview (be forewarned, the person being interviewed is extremely crude).

After reading the article about their permit request and seeing Kevin’s interview, I come away with many questions, but the one that stands out most in my mind is “Why?”

Why protest at the funeral of fallen American heroes?

Why hold crude and vulgar signs at funerals or anywhere for that matter?

Why be this kind of church?

Why scream such hatred?

Why be so vocal against anyone who disagrees with them?

Folks, I have a few answers, but I’d love to hear what you have to say. Got any answers?

9 comments:

  1. Their gospel just isn't real. Sadly they are teaching their kids to be this way too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of opinions about Westboro. None of them are positive. :(

    I read an interview with one of the sons "out of the fold" a while back ago. It was truly sad what he went through at the hands of his father.

    Last spring, (I think it was that recent, it may have been last summer) in Kansas, there were four teenagers killed when someone ran a stop sign and hit them. I'm foggy on the details, but essentially, they showed up at the funeral of two of the girls (they were sisters) and claimed that they deserved to die because of the lifestyle they were living. ???????

    It was absolutely mind-boggling.

    There is also a motorcycle gang of veterans that follows them around. Essentially, they will circle around the "church" and when they start protesting they will rev their engines and whatnot. It creates a lot more noise, which isn't good, sometimes, but it keeps their spewed venom from being heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I hear "Westboro Baptist Church" or "Fred Phelps" or some combination thereof, that is my cue to ignore them.

    Picketing a funeral shows no love, no empathy, no CLASS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It shows a general lack of a lot of things, not the least of which is even a general knowledge of the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony and Karma...AMEN to all you have said! Especially the part about no CLASS!

    I don't see any evidence of it with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a comment earlier but it never made it. I get your drift! I have my doubts about the personhood of the Westoboro "people." They are absolutely a terrible representation of what the church is all about. One of the members of the church I pastor is a general mgr of the local Harley dealership. He was part of the group that surrounded a grave that kept them out. I know this is judgmental but there is a special place reserved for people like them. (Can you say hell?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never got your earlier comment, sorry about that...

    So, question to all of you: What do we do about a church like Westboro? When a member walks up to you and says, "How do we stop them?", how do you answer that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good question Steve. How about picket their church meetings? Nah that would draw too much attention to them. We could ignore them and hope they go away (far far away) but i seriously doubt that will do. We could start a website that says, "Westborodoesn'tspeakforme.com" but I doubt that would work. How about just showing the love of Jesus to all and forget they even exist?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I started to do a web search, but I bet there is a web site like that already!

    I think I like your idea. We'll just love them to death in Jesus. And, hope they meet Him before death.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.