Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'll Handle It Tomorrow



Last Friday night, a motorcyclist was killed in Meadville, Pennsylvania, when his motorcycle crashed into an Amish buggy.

Police say a group of Amish people were fishing at Pymatuning State Park and had tied up their horse. Unfortunately, the horse broke loose and pulled the buggy onto Route 6. The article’s writer said the following, “The unlighted buggy collided with a motorcycle operated by 42-year-old Duane Forsythe of Beaver Falls.”

Forsythe was killed. His passenger, 44-year-old Catherine Fosnaught, also of Beaver Falls, was injured. The writer also proudly told us, "The horse wasn’t hurt."

I love how these stories are written, don’t you? I’ve been to Amish country many times and admired the beauty of their farms, their lovely quilts, and the simple lifestyle. I admire their lifestyle, but have no desire to live their lifestyle. None whatsoever.

But, in reading the story, you get the idea that the horse and buggy pulled onto the highway, got up to speed, and overtook the motorcycle, forcing it off the road.

More than likely, since the buggy was unlighted, don’t you think it was the motorcycle that crashed into the buggy and not the other way around.

And, oh, aren’t you glad that writer made a point of telling us that the horse wasn’t injured. I am so glad.

This story reminds me of one of the most important verses in the New Testament. In James 4:14, James wrote these words: “Life is but a vapor that appears for a little while then vanishes away.”

Never have truer words been written. Life is so short, no matter how long we actually walk upon the earth. What’s 100 years compared to the time since creation took place? Nothing. What’s 50 years compared to how long ago Jesus walked around telling us about the kingdom of God? Again, nothing.

Some would say that since life is so short, we should eat, drink, and be merry all the time (Jesus also had a few words about that, I’ll save those for a later post). But, what Jesus would remind us is to live life to its fullest, to serve Him every day, and to love those around us.

Who knows how long any of us has on earth. I don’t know. I don’t think I really want to know either. I think what God requires of me is not to know how long I have but how well I have served during those allotted days.

How well are you serving Him? Or, are you planning on handling it tomorrow?

7 comments:

  1. Steve, I've never been so aware of the moments in my hourglass as I've been since my son died three years ago. I capture every moment I can of joy, happiness and love. I try to write about it and share it with the world. I seek to love as I never loved before and let others know I love them far more frequently than I once did. Indeed, life is but a vapor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, most of us don't capture the moments as we should. We suddenedly find ourselves 30, then 40, then 50, and beyond, and we wake up and realize that we have squandered the precious moments of each day...I am so glad that you are loving each moment now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. sure am...I take tons of pictures and save them online immediately. Use them to write little stories about the kids and capture the moments for them to read themselves someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what you both are writing about was the "genius" behind Wild at Heart when it came to men. Too many men were passive and were watching life pass them by. Living with regrets of having to say, "I never..." This is a tragic story but it happens everyday. Teens who think they have a whole life ahead of them. A young newlywed whose life is snuffed out on his honeymoon. A couple in an airplane who got married the day night before it takes off on the wrong runway. Life is an adventure. Live it to the full. I seem to remember someone names Jesus saying something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something else: it really doesn't matter how long you live but how you live that makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned a lesson about placing pictures online. Since my son was born in February, we've taken "tons" of digital photographs and almost all of them have found their way to his blog. Grandparents who live hundreds of miles away are able to see him almost daily, watching him growing up, even though they can't see him physically every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill...no more living with regrets...learning to live each day to its fullest, pressing ahead toward the crown...that's a great goal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.