Thursday, July 17, 2008

What's in a Name?



What’s in a Name?

In the Bible, names meant something. “Peter” meant “rock.” “Penuel” meant “face of God.” “Jabez” meant “he causes sorrow.” Some people translate “Jabez” to mean “pain.”

But, when you read a name in the Bible, just know it has some significance—and to understand the Bible better, it really does help to take the time to understand the meaning of people’s names, countries, and cities.

Well, an Orlando, Florida boy will have some ‘plaining to do when it comes to his name. the boy’s name, all 24-letters of it, will be Dixon and Willoughby Partin—before you question my ability to count, you have to include the “and” in his name!

Why the strange name? Simple. A hundred bucks worth of gasoline.

An Orlando radio station offered $100 worth of free gasoline to the listener with the most interesting item to trade. David Partin of Orlando offered the right to name his unborn son to a local radio station. Radio hosts Richard Dixon and J. Willoughby took Partin’s deal.

So, when the baby is born later this winter, he will be named “Dixon and Willoughby Partin.” When asked, David Partin’s girlfriend, Samantha Bailey, told the Orlando Sentinel that at least he will have an interesting story about how he got his name.

The two radio hosts are a little concerned that this will actually happen, so they don’t plan to hand over the card until they see the birth certificate.

Hmmm…giving the naming rights over to a couple of radio personalities? How dangerous is that? At least it wasn’t Howard Stern!

I’ve seen people willing to have companies’ names tattooed onto their forehead. When you watch a NASCAR event, you see company names all over the cars and uniforms of the drivers, and if you listen to them talk for more than ten seconds, you hear every sponsor’s name they can get in in those seconds.

But, to have your child named after a radio show? How ridiculous is that!

Choosing names is complicated and can take hours and hours to decide. There are family considerations to keep in mind. There are spelling implications and abbreviations to worry about. There are the “top 10” names to avoid. There are the names of former girlfriends and boyfriends to avoid.

I just wonder, will David and Samantha allow the radio station to pick their wedding date to happen before or after their baby is born? Careful Steve, you’re getting a little too judgmental here. Who said you have to be married to have a baby? No one, I suppose. Then again, who said the proud husband and wife should be the one to choose their baby’s name?

9 comments:

  1. I hope mom and dad are prepared for their child to despise them with a passion when he gets older. For $100 of gas? That is nuts especially when that $100 will gone in two fill-ups. As for the wedding...no comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am VERY much into name meanings. My daughter's name means strong and boy does she ever live up to that one. My son's name means annointed by God and we sure hope so. If our newest is a girl she'll be Sara which means princess or if a boy he'll be Justin which means righteous and just. I think these people are making a huge mistake, but they CAN change the name later. It might cost $100, but it can be done.

    As for the wedding... well, I have quite a few nieces and a nephew born out of wedlock. They're awesome and 2 of the couples got married. Sooo????

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Bernard and I were expecting our first, we chose the name very carefully. Both he and I have "rare" names, and we wanted our son to have something "normal," but still unique. So, we named him Travis (the normal part) Acie (the unique part). At the time, we were in transition between churches and had kinda settled into Crossroads (where we are now). When he was several months old, I found out that Travis means "crossroads."

    When we were expecting our second, Travis said, "It is a girl. Her name is Kristi." He was three. No matter what we came up with, he insisted on Kristi. Soooooo, Tyra (after me) Kristiana (popular in Eastern Europe) it is.

    Bernard (hubby) = bear
    Karma = destiny or fate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was named after Ricky Nelson. At least my mom didn't have a crush on Tiny Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some people just have "issues"..and that poor child will be among the list of folks with "issues."

    Of course, he can always have his name legally changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick...I could see you name in lights now...Tiny Tim Boyne...

    Has a certain ring to it...doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been sensitive about names. My parents call me by my middle name...they do the same to my brother...

    The first few days of school were always fun! Teachers didn't know my name and were referring to me by my first name! And, I didn't know to answer, beacause that isn't my name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is a very biblical one...my first name means "Called of God..." My middle name means "Martyr"!

    Could that be why I went into the ministry???

    ReplyDelete
  9. nope, Steve...it just means that you have "issues.."

    Like the rest of us...LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.