Friday, July 25, 2008

Perception vs. Reality on the Car Lot of Life



A recent comment on my blog made me think about a childhood experience. I guess I was 8 or 9 years old at the time.

My family lived in Greenville, Alabama, which is about 35 miles or so away from Montgomery, the state capital of Alabama. It might as well have been 3,000 miles away. My hometown was and is still very small, with a population of about 7,500–8,000 or so. Everybody knows everybody in my hometown, or at least it seems that way. Every time I got in trouble as a kid, it seemed the entire town knew about it…or they were the ones who told on me!

Growing up in Greenville was simplistic, at best. We played in the yard all year long. That’s about all there was to do. Our backyard would go from being a baseball diamond in the spring and summer to a football field in the fall and winter to a basketball court in the winter and spring. We rode our bicycles for hours and hours during the summer. We raised a garden in the back yard, one that my father always swore “Won’t be that big next year!” But, it was always as big, if not bigger the next year.

There was a small movie theater in town, and we often saw movies, not current releases, but the old favorites of bygone eras. There was a small skating rink and that rink provided many hours of going round in circles and dusting the floor with the seat of my Wrangler jeans.

There was no McDonalds or Wal-Mart or Kroger’s or Target or Starbucks (that’s for you Kevin). We did have an A & P grocery store and a Piggly Wiggly grocery store. We even had a Ben Franklin 5 & 10 store for much of my growing up days.

However, for the real excitement and fun, we had to go to Montgomery. Montgomery was where the Montgomery Mall was! It was huge—or so it seemed at the time. It probably only had 35–40 stores in it, and of course, we didn’t have anything like that in Greenville, heck, we didn’t even have 40 stores in all of Greenville!

I’ll never forget a trip that my mother, brother, and I took to the Montgomery Mall. We arrived early to shop. We parked our car up front and hurried inside to shop. We spent several hours shopping and exited the mall to find our car. As we walked out the door, my mother realized that the car was gone! It was no where to be found! We walked and walked and could not find the car! Finally, in desperation and tears, we went inside to the security stand and reported our stolen car to the police officer working the booth. He listened as my frantic mother told of our plight. He didn’t get frazzled in the least.

After my mother told him the entire story, he calmly asked, “Ma’am, what letter did you park under?” Letter? What letter was he talking about? My mother was clueless as to what he was talking about and said so. The very kind officer said, “Ma’am, our parking lot is very big and there are several exits out of our building. So, we’ve lettered the sections of the parking lot so people can remember easier where they parked.

Needless to say, we didn’t notice the letters when we parked our car. In Greenville, you parked your car, went in one door and out the same door! Who took into consideration multiple doors! Not us. Not the rednecks from south Alabama! Not my mother. Not my brother. Not me.

A few minutes later, with the help of the kind police officer, we found our car. Of course, it was right where we left it. Under the letter “M” by the way.

On the way home, no one was really talking too much. We were all still shaken by having our car “stolen.” About halfway home, my mother did speak. She said, “Don’t you dare tell your father about this!”

To this day, we still haven’t told him! And, you’d best not either!

12 comments:

  1. Steve, I was thrilled to go to Alexandria, VA and shop at Woolworth's Five and Dime Store. How times have changed!

    I'm gonna teeeellll, I'm gonna teeellll! selahV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude...you better hope your pop doesn't read your blog. I hear the words "toast" coming alive!

    First, where the movies you went to see black and white or without sound?

    Second, was the mall covered? The one and only mall we went to was a good 1/2 hour away and we had to go in and out of the stores. Tells you how old I am.

    Third, I won't tell a soul not even your dad.

    fourth, I had a similar situation happen to me but it involved going to the wrong car, almost kicking in the door because it wouldn't open, calling for a ride and then seeing mine 2 stall down (it had a big van between the 2 identical cars.

    Fifth, it was in '79 and late in the evening when the plane landed from London. We had been up many hours flying back from the Holy Land. A lady could not find her car in the almost empty car lot. There was one there like hers but it was teh wrong color. We drove around and around and walked until I finally said, "Linda are you sure? Maybe the lights change the color of the car." She went to it and it opened.

    You like lists. There you are. Still going to tell your dad though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. V...I don't think you have telling in you! You are just too, too sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill...Bill...sweet ain't used too often to describe you, is it?

    My dad doesn't read my blog (even though he does read my son's blog)...wonder what that says, I'm sure you will tell me!

    1) No, we actually had color films...and sound...and please remember, black and white are colors!

    2) Yes, the mall was covered, and had AC...I know you've heard of AC right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That happened to me once. I was in the marching band at Appalachian State, and we had to go to a Clemson vs. Appalachian (guess who won, hahaha) game and perform.

    When we parked, it was near where all the band buses and stuff were. By the time we got out, we went to where the buses were, and then proceeded to walk and walk and walk and walk, and my car was nowhere to be found.

    Their parking lots are NOT marked, and they (where we were) were all just rolling hills in a field. Apparently, we didn't go "over" enough fields. Gah. We musta walked for miles.

    We did finally find it, and I still don't like Clemson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it frustrating...and embarrassing?

    And I'm with you...I don't like Clemson either! Ugly uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahah! So much for that vaunted alien "transparency"! (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve: as I think about it sounds to me like you should fear your mom and not your dad.

    Ok Phil...what was priceless? Steve's comeback to me? Now I have two to fight? Karma is a nice person. She will take my side.

    And no...sweet ain't used to often on me. That is a girlie word. Rugged. Handsome. Wild at heart. Those are more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill...kissing up isn't very becoming on you...

    Neither is the thought of you being rugged, handsome, or wild at heart...if those descriptions are true, show up the photo...let us see...

    Oh, wait...on Sunday, dear readers, you'll get the opportunity to see a picture of Bill and me together...check back around noon for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been to that mall before. I've been to G-ville too. I bought some jeans at Goodys there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.