Wednesday, July 30, 2008

An Assurance for All



I’ve mentioned on here before that I once served as a chaplain and a firefighter for a small volunteer fire department. Of all the work I’ve ever done, either professionally or as a volunteer, this service was probably the most meaningful for me.

Prior to me joining the fire department, a member of my church was an officer in the fire department—even though we were small, we still had organization! Tim was a captain in the department, I believe. And, Tim was a great man. He was a strong believer in Jesus Christ, was an active member of the church, and genuinely was loved by everyone he came in contact with. Tim also had a great sense of humor. And, oh, Tim also was a diabetic.

While in his mid-40s the diabetes began taking a toll on Tim’s health. Nothing seemed to work and he couldn’t seem to get a handle on the problems that went along with the disease. After many months of fighting, Tim entered the hospital and his foot was amputated. The doctors really believed that would solve most of the problem.

Unfortunately, it didn’t. Months later, Tim was back in the hospital again. The infection had spread up his leg. This time, after a great fight, the doctors had to amputate his leg, above his knee.

Things were fine for a while, but soon the problems were back again, this time in his other leg. Months more of fighting, only to become a losing battle. Back in the hospital and another leg amputated.

Tim maintained a wonderful attitude during all of this. His witness was as great as ever. He was still in church and still went to the fire station as often as he could get a ride there.

Everyone thought his problems were behind him. But, they were not. The infection and his body’s lack of fighting it off continued. This time, it spread to his hand and arm. Again, back in the hospital. Again, amputation. This time of his arm, up to his shoulder.

In a moment of talking with the firemen, Tim said, as a witness to his eternal home and to his love of humor, “I always knew I would go to heaven when I died. I just didn’t know I’d go limb-by-limb.”

What do you do when someone says something like that? You laugh! Of course! Tim did. He loved life. He loved humor. But, he loved knowing that when he died, he would be whole again, in heaven, with his Heavenly Father!

Some months later, Tim lost his battle with diabetes. And, for the first time in many, many years, Tim was whole again, with all of his limbs, walking the streets of gold.

As only firemen can do, even in a small community, Tim was given a mighty send off! The fire department has an old 1930s or 1940s fire truck. It runs. And, when it is polished up, it looks great! We used the truck for parades mostly and when we did our yearly open house. Kids loved climbing on the truck and sounding the siren.

Tim got one more ride with the fire department. His flag draped casket was hoisted onto that old fire truck and made its way from the fire department to the church for his funeral service and then to the graveside for his burial.

Tim was buried with less than a full physical body. But, he didn’t care. Because the moment Tim breathed his last breath on earth, he immediately was made new by his Savior and Lord Jesus Christ.

Do you have that same assurance?

11 comments:

  1. you are incredibly lame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what Jimmy was talking about Steve but I share your sentiment. I especially liked his attitude toward death. Thanks for the break and sharing a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...not sure what Jimmy has in mind...and when you sign in anonymously, you can't dialogue.

    Always appreciate your kind words! And, if Jimmy cares to communicate again, I'll appreciate getting to know him as well...hopefully the sun is shining on him in Wisconsin today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. most (all?) of the time, a commenter's words speaks more about the nature of the commenter, than what s/he is commenting about.

    And, yes, I assuredly have this assurance.

    Thanks for the story. It is always encouraging to read about people who pesevere and uplift Christ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to tell you: yes I have this assurance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karma and Bill...never any doubt about the assurance thing with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not gonna lie, sometimes I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael, that was a struggle my husband (nards656 who sometimes comments over here and has a blog at bernardshuford.com) had for years. He was brought up believing that you could lose or reject your salvation, and one of the results was that he was never fully confident in his salvation. Much prayer and soul searching on his part finally resolved it, for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't brought up that way Karma but learned it while in college and preached it for years. I no longer believe it nor preach it. Freedom!! (as William Wallace would shout)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would call "Jimmy" an online troll except he has no URL to his name. Probably just a bored teenager.

    Anyway, yes I have that assurance and I cannot wait!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to seeing you on the other side! If not before then...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.