Sunday, July 20, 2008

Be Careful What You Leave Behind


You’ve heard the old joke about fireman and their suspenders:

Question: Why does a fireman wear suspenders?
Answer: To hold his pants up!

Well, a story out of Stockholm, Sweden, gives a new meaning to a fireman’s suspenders and pants. It seems that three firemen from Gavle, in central Sweden, had stopped by a local swimming pool for a dip. When they returned to the pool locker room, they discovered that someone had made off with their uniforms. Their commander said that when they returned, everything was gone except for their underwear and their shoes.

So, what could the firemen do? Well they drove back in the fire engine wearing only their underwear and shoes! One of the firemen, Posa Serenius, was quoted as saying, “People stared a bit, but I guess it went well.”

Do you think people stared? Almost naked fireman going back to their fire station, in nearly nothing? I would suspect so!

Many years ago, I served as a volunteer fireman. Well, in truth, I was the chaplain for the fire department, but since we were a fairly small fire department, I also had the opportunity to do double duty, as a chaplain and fireman.

One of the first lessons I learned as a fireman was to wear comfortable clothing under the turnout gear! (As a matter of fact, a fireman should always wears socks! Especially if he doesn’t want to get blisters on every part of his foot!) In South Alabama, in July, the temperature can easily reach 95–100 degrees on any given day. It always seemed that it was on those days that we would be called out.

If you don’t know, turnout gear is heavy, made to withstand the heat of a fire. But, because of its weight, and the way it fastens, it also keeps your body heat inside the gear! So, if it is 95 degrees outside, it can easily be 120 degrees inside your gear! Good for a winter day, but not a hot Alabama summer day!

I can understand the firemen going for a swim! No doubt, it was to cool off after a call. However, one suggestion I would make to them—about using the gym’s locker room—buy a $3 lock! It works wonders on protecting your stuff!

Maybe their commander will add that to their next training session: lock up your gear before swimming! Good advice! Not only for firemen, but anyone who goes to the gym regularly!

5 comments:

  1. Is that what is called "a hot time in the old town" tonight?" I believe this would be one embarrassing situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of being in a hurry...and I know firemen work quickly...but, it does help to have your pants...in all situations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was, "Why didn't they just wear their swimming trunks," but then I realized you said it was Sweden, and they probably were wearing those little speedo things.

    This story just made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, this is so sad. Why would anyone want a fireman's clothing? How rude! My dad use to be a volunteer fireman. He practically lived at the fire department. My mother would have killed him if he'd lost his clothes somewhere. whew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all volunteer firemen live at the station...I know I did! There is a great brotherhood among firemen and women! Sadly, at times, I felt more at home among those guys than I did at church. Too bad, fireman are willing to lay down their lives for their brothers and the community, how many believers are ready to do that?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.