Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Actions of A Child

What were you doing when you were three-years-old? Don’t remember? Well, neither do I. My first real memory comes from when I was four-years-old, but I don’t remember anything before that time.

My, how times have changed.

A Guthrie, Oklahoma, three-year-old recently saved her mother’s life, using something her mother had taught her. The little girl used a simple song lyric, “911 green”, to call 911 and get help after her pregnant mother fainted.

Jessica Eaves had taught her daughter, Madelyn, the song a week before she fainted due to a medical condition called vasovagal syncope.

When the 24-year-old and 3-months-pregnant Eaves fainted, Madelyn picked up her mother’s BlackBerry phone. She pressed 911 and the green button and was connected to a dispatcher. Just recently, the 911 call was made public. In that recording, you hear Madelyn being able to answer questions about her house and cars outside that led emergency workers to the home.

What may be even more amazing is that this wasn’t the first time Madelyn has used a phone to call for help for her mother. Eaves first learned of her condition a year ago and taught her daughter the lyrics “green, green, green.” When Eaves lost consciousness back then, Madelyn picked up a cell phone and pressed the green button which called the last person Eaves had called and that person called for help.

Wow! Am I impressed! Then again, I’m also depressed. In looking back at my preschool years, I never did anything significant like saving a parent’s life. I never rescued a friend from a burning home. I don’t think I even brought the dog inside when it was raining.

As a preschooler, I spent most of my time playing outside, playing games with my brother and friends, and just having a good time. Nothing serious. Nothing special. Just being a kid. A normal, healthy preschooler.

I am so impressed by Madelyn and her heroic acts of saving her mother. However, I would give a word of advice to her mother, if she asked for it. She might want to consider subscribing to one of those push-button services that calls for emergency personnel in the event of a crisis! At some point, Madelyn is going to be in the yard playing, or upstairs playing with her Barbie, and not be there to save her mother. So, my word of advice would be to prepare before the next fainting spell comes.

Madelyn, you are a smart little girl! I know your mother is proud. And, so am I!



11 comments:

  1. I can't remember a whole lot either Steve. I do remember chasing the girls! That may have started when i was born. Sounds to me like you and I lived normal lives, the kind that kids are supposed to. Cheers to the little girl though. Imagine the bond mom & daughter have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they can't help but have a special bond. I just hope the mother can find some medical help for her condition and that the little girl can have the same kind of normal life that we had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually remember falling down and banging my head when I was two. I remember going to the hospital for an X-ray, then bumping my head on the car "dome light" when we got back in the car. When I was a teenager, I asked my mother how old I was when that happened, and she couldn't believe I could remember the details of it when I was only two.

    Then, again, I am from Oklahoma, as was the little girl in the story! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick, there are so many things to say about your comment...hitting your head at the age of two, going to the hospital, then hitting your head again on the dome light...hmmm, wonder if your church family would say that explains A LOT about you and your preaching?

    I'm really amazed you can remember that experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I think all those "head bangs" can explain a WHOLE LOT! ;-)

    I am really amazed that I can remember it too. I have some other memories that I have mentioned to my mother, but I don't know how in the world they could actually be memories, since it was even earlier than two.

    Of course the problem isn't what happened to me at age two, but what I was supposed to pick up at the store for my wife. That's the REAL problem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY!!! I was visitor number 1000 in the "Numbers Do Matter" counter!

    Yea for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rick,

    I fully understand the forgetting of things...sure seems to get worse as I get older...then again, it started earlier in life...if I remember correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick...#1,000, what an honor...

    You should expect a little "prize" in your mailbox soon...well, eventually...well, don't wait around for it too long, it might just get lost in the mail.

    What was I talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rick! I got back here late but just wondered if you were part of the headbanging music. Would fit right in! About what you forgot to pick up? You know what the first thing to go don't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill,

    Nope. Headbangers give me a headache just watching them, not to mention LISTENING to them.

    First thing to go? I dunno; I can't remember....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rick,

    Be careful here. Don't let Bill pull you into his discussion of music. If you do, he'll begin to quote something from his 8-track collection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.