Thursday, July 3, 2008

I'm Going to Rip Them Apart!



Normally, I print a news item, public interest story, personal story from my own life, or even a video, and then share my comments or observations. Today, I’m breaking from that tradition and simply sharing the news story. No comment from me whatsoever. What do you think?

From Fox News:

“The father of a Florida girl abducted and buried alive in a trash bag by a sex offender has blasted a Massachusetts politician who said he’d have to torment young victims on the witness stand if mandatory sentences for offenders passed the state Legislature.

“Mark Lunsford, whose 9-year-old daughter died in 2005, told the Boston Herald that Rep. James Fagan, a defense attorney, should take the rights of victimized children seriously.

‘Why doesn’t he figure out a way to defend that child and put these kind of people away instead of trying to figure ways for defense attorneys to get around Jessica’s Law?’

“Lunsford told the paper. ‘These are very serious crimes that nobody wants to take serious. What about the rights of these children?’

‘Fagan came under fire last month for remarks he made about young victims during a debate in the Massachusetts House on the state adopting Jessica’s Law, which would require a mandatory 20-year sentence for the rape of a child under age 12.

“‘I’m gonna rip them apart,’ Fagan said of young victims. ‘I’m going to make sure that the rest of their life is ruined, that when they’re 8 years old, they throw up; when they’re 12 years old, they won’t sleep; when they’re 19 years old, they’ll have nightmares and they’ll never have a relationship with anybody.’

“Fagan said as a defense attorney it would be his duty to do that in order to keep his clients free from a ‘mandatory sentence of those draconian proportions.’ Those comments drew the ire of local activists.”

What do you think? Comments?

12 comments:

  1. Can you say, "Hang him by his toenails and castrate him?" Sorry if that is so blunt but I am sick and tired of all this mamby-pamby junk applied to sex offenders, etc. Perhaps if they had taken it seriously the little 12 year old just found buried IN HER UNCLE'S BACK YARD would still be alive. Sorry if this offends you Steve or your readers but I feel strongly that we need to take a stronger stand. Now...would you like to know how I really feel? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill...no offense taken by me. I always value your visits and input!

    I just wish you'd learn how to speak your mind! :)

    I'm curious if I will get any other comments, before I share my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, what do I think? I think this should be Fagan's last term in office as a legislator. And I'd hope his practice, should he have one, would be reduced to traffic ticket defenses until the man comes to his senses.

    Unfortunately, he speaks well of what his colleagues do now to these poor children who are brutally sodomized and raped. God help us to wake up and see the justice we've produced in America's system is flawed. Terribly flawed. selahV

    ReplyDelete
  4. apparently he has forgotten that his job as a defense attorney isn't to get his client off, but to defend his client's constitutional rights. there is quite a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. V.

    Thanks for commenting! If this man represented any other state than the one he does, I would think we would have hope that he would be recalled before his term ends...or that he would be voted out when his term ends. However, I don't hold out much hope for either of those to happen! After all, this is the state of Teddy Kennedy, John Kerry, gay marriage, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael, don't you think the same thing he is guilty of is the same thing that too many lawyers are guilty of.

    The constitution flies out the window with too many of these men and women!

    He brings total shame on his profession!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill...one word...AMEN!!!!!

    I totally agree with you! This man is crazy...

    Tell you what, he wouldn't last long as an elected official in the state of Alabama. We've got methods down here to help him "disappear" from the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And he shouldn't last long there but as one already said, "Consider the state he 'practices' in."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with your observation that the Constitution means nothing to politicians. If my work in politics has taught me anything, it is that VERY VERY few politicians have any sort of belief system that they can consistently apply to every issue. Most ebb and flow, doing nothing but contradicting themselves. It is sad really.

    One of my favorite quotes comes from former Tennessee Congressman and Texas legend Davy Crockett. Upon realizing that he was going to lose his reelection bid because he was principled he said, "I would rather be beaten and be a man than to be elected and be a political puppy dog."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael, that is a powerful illustration about Davy Crockett! I have never heard it before, but I can promise you, I will use it again! Thanks for sharing.

    Michael, if I may ask, how do you balance a belief system and politics? What's the most difficult part?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do I balance? Honestly, I'm not sure. It is difficult. I'm not sure I ever know if I am making the right decision.

    The hardest part has to do with social conservatism. Social conservatives attempt to get legislation passed through the federal government. I am against such legislation because I believe it is meant to be passed at the state level. Plus, if we allow conservatives to pass say a federal marriage amendment when they are in power, we shouldn't complain when liberals attempt to do the same with abortion or marriage when they are in power.

    I just think such policies are meant for and better applied at the state level. It is difficult to talk to other Christians (most of wish want federal actions on social issues) and explain my position without being branded as a fraudulent Christian.

    It isn't that i have different ends; it is that i have different means than many Christians when it comes to political issues.

    Maybe that answers your question and maybe it is just rambling. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael, thanks for your answer, and no, I don't sense that you are rambling (at least not yet!) :)

    Thanks for coming to my site and commenting. I will be in prayer for you as you continue to lead out in politics!

    As there are specific things to pray about, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.