Monday, September 15, 2008

The Price of Integrity



A judge who gets it!

And guess what, it’s a New York judge who got it right.

Apparently, an owner of an upscale Manhattan restaurant filed a lawsuit against a supermodel over a damaged designer umbrella said to be worth $5,000. Yes, a restaurant owner owned a $5,000 umbrella—let that settle in first. Then, he loaned out the $5,000 umbrella. Then, when it was damaged, he sued for one million dollars. Yes, one million dollars!

That’s when the judge got it right! New York State Supreme Court Justice Joan. A. Madden threw out the lawsuit, calling motions filed by the attorney on behalf of Nello Balan a “waste of judicial resources.” She then fined Balan’s attorney $500 for filing a frivolous claim.

Good for her! I hope sure she makes sure the attorney pays every penny of that $500.

Balan sued supermodel Le Call for $1 million, claiming that he lent her a Jean-Paul Gaultier-designed umbrella—and that she returned it to him in two pieces.

Balan claimed emotional distress and said that the model had intentionally damaged the umbrella.

Emotional distress over an umbrella? Did he really claim that! Yes! He did!

You know, I don’t own much that is worth $5,000 or more, much less an umbrella! And, if I did, I don’t think I’d be using the umbrella, much less loaning it out!

At what point does something become of great enough value to you that you would sue over it being damaged? Would you sue someone over damaging your property?

Share you thoughts!

12 comments:

  1. My parents are suing a construction company for abandoning the remodeling of their house. I tend to think that is different since the company took my parents money, tore the place up, then stopped coming back.

    I would not sue over damage to something like an umbrella. It would take a blatant act of disrespect for my stuff for that to happen. Even then, it would have to be something fairly important. I mean if I loaned my $5,000 umbrella to someone and they took it and smashed it against the wall right in front of me, I probably wouldn't go so far as to sue. I would just make sure they never again touched anything I owned.

    Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced my $5,000 umbrella, so this isn't an issue at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still choking over a $5000 umbrella! That would almost put me out of any credit card debt! (Working toward it Dave Ramsey) Michael's parent's situation is different. But unless it was just blatant defacing and misuse of property I would have to say I would think twice before suing. Enough of that going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael...I fully understand what you are saying about your parents. I've never been in quite that situation. But, would I sue? I don't know. I guess I'd have to go through it myself to know what I would do. I did have a problem with a car--that's another story for another day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill...I continue to pray for you and your bride about that debt you are carrying. Dave's beans and rice and rice and beans gets old...but it works!

    Before long, you will be debt free...my only request is that you let me know before you call him and scream...I want to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes my $400 handbag seem like peanuts now doesn't it?

    ROFL!!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...Heidi...If I say yes, am I further enabling you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't sue over an umbrella... Now, no question of the day?

    hmmmmmmmmm where's my lawyer? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So...Camey, I've reached an all time high...people are now making requests about what I post...

    Interest seemed to be waning in the QOTD...so, I put it on hold for a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all......$5000 umbrella??

    I would definitely not lend it out if I were ever to own one as it would be on display in a glass case!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, Steve... As for that all time high? Glad I can be of service..

    Maybe do a question of the week? or a question for the moment? you know, depending upon what time the question is answered it might be different?

    Just noticed no question of the day. thought i'd inquire..

    ReplyDelete
  11. More and more, I am understanding why it is important to learn the "Blessedness of possessing nothing" that Tozer wrote about.

    This guy didn't own the umbrella... the umbrella owned him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tony...wise observation! I don't like anything owning me--whether it is MasterCard, Visa, Discover, the car place, the gas station, even my job...I want to be the one in control...not out of control...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.