Monday, September 8, 2008

Pop Pop Fizz Fizz


A man nicknamed “Humble Bob” stuffed himself with 11.5 pounds of a local specialty called chili-spaghetti in only about 10 minutes to claim victory in a Labor Day holiday eating contest.

Bob Shoudt won $2,500 at the inaugural Skyline Chili Spaghetti eat-off Monday at Kings Island amusement park.

“Humble Bob” dashed to an early lead, sucking down more than two pounds in less than a minute. Shoudt, of Philadelphia, is ranked No. 5 by the International Federation of Competitive Eating. He beat the federation’s top-ranked competitive eater, Joey Chestnut. Chestnut won this year’s July 4 hot dog-eating contest at New York's Coney Island.

I’ve eaten at Skyline Chili, not the one at Kings Island amusement park, but another location. Folks, I didn’t enjoy the spaghetti/chili combination. I love spaghetti. I like chili. But, together and smothered under cheese, is just too much.

I can only imagine what kind of night “Humble Bob” must have had. Then again, I’d rather not think about it!

Have you tried chili spaghetti? If so, tell me your opinion.

14 comments:

  1. I tired Skyline Chili one time and only one. Let me just say that they will never want to ask me to be their spokesman. Not a chance if they want to stay in business. And no, I have never tried that combo and never plan to. If I did I don't have to tell you the kind of night I would spend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a big fan of Skyline...but, I know many people in Ohio really are...Maybe it is an aquired taste...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet there were some strong gases eeking out of his but that night. Whatcha wanna bet his wife made him sleep in another room.

    I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. That made my stomach hurt just thinking about it. ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm... no. sounds nasty.

    chili - yum
    spaghetti - yum

    some things are just not meant to go together in my opinion.

    now chicken spaghetti? totally different story.

    spaghetti lasagna? ohhh one of my favorites to make homemade, serve and eat.

    g8t! now I'm hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...sounds like a total concensus about chili/spaghetti...

    Skyline also puts cinnamon in ther spaghetti and chili sauces...folks, that's just not right! Ain't right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love spaghetti and chili but dont know if I would like them together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate Skyline Chili. I do not, for the life of me, know why they are so popular. Gross!!

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi...knowing that you are from Ohio, you know all about Skyline...I'm with you...terrible stuff! I went with my wife, because it had been recommended...needless to say, we no longer listen to the person giving that recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve,

    Parker says it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three words: I hate cinnamon. Ought to tell you how I really feel about Skyline. Nasty. Nasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.