Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Two, Four, Six, Eight, Who Do We Appreciate?



A 33-year-old woman stole her daughter’s identity to attend high school and join the cheerleading squad, according to a criminal complaint filed against the woman.

Wendy Brown, of Green Bay, Wisconsin, faces a felony identity theft charge after enrolling in Ashwaubenon (what a name for a school or town) High School as her 15-year-old daughter, who lives in Nevada with Brown’s mother.

According to the complaint, Brown wanted to get her high school degree and become a cheerleader because she didn’t have a childhood and wanted to regain a part of her life that she’d missed.

May I say, it is commendable to want to get your high school degree, it really is, but to pretend to be your own 15-year-old daughter and actually go back to school. Has she never heard of a GED? Then, again, I guess the GED doesn’t have a cheerleading program! Maybe the GED program doesn’t have a very good mascot or good school colors!

Brown allegedly attended cheerleading practices before school started, received a cheerleader’s locker and went to a pool party at the cheerleading coach’s house.
The $134.50 check Brown gave to the cheerleading coach for her uniform bounced, the complaint said. Bouncing checks—not good.

A high school employee, Kim Demeny, told authorities that the woman, posing as the teen, seemed very timid. Demeny said she told her she was not good at math and even cried when she talked about moving from Pahrump Valley High School in Nevada. Demeny said she looked older than a student but had the demeanor of a high school girl.
A school liaison officer started investigating after Brown only attended the first day of classes last week, the complaint said. Hmmm, not a good start to getting your education! How serious could she have been about getting an education?

Assistant Principal Dirk Ribbins later learned Brown’s daughter was enrolled at Pahrump Valley High School. Ribbins also spoke with Brown’s mother, who told him she had custody of the girl. She said Brown has a history of identity theft crimes, the complaint said.

Brown made her first court appearance Friday by video conference. The judge set bond at $8,000. If convicted, she could face up to six years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

I’m not sure what to make of this. Up until the next to last paragraph, I actually felt sorry for Ms. Brown. She apparently had a hard life growing up, and if I am decent at math, must have had her daughter at the age of 18. But, I’ve known many people who’ve had a hard life growing up and had babies way too young. But to learn that she’s been convicted of identity theft before, well, that tells me not to feel so sorry for this woman—just to know that this time, it was her daughter she took advantage of. I wonder how long it might be before she does the same to her own mother!

What’s your opinion of all of this?



14 comments:

  1. It's just so very pathetic. I hope she gets the help she needs. She has some major mental problems.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is an obvious solution here.

    Get rid of cheerleading worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how could she have gone through cheer practice before school and not get caught. She is either very young looking and in excellent shape, the coach is blind or the cheer team is hard up for bodies. I do hope she gets help though. With previous Identity thefts she obviously has problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi...Amen...

    Michael...do we really, really want to do that?

    Bill...I know what you mean...wonder what was happening at that school not to know about her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wild. I know so many individuals who don't finish high school and go back for their GED. Hard working people. I can see faces & lots of stories - I'll stop there with that..

    However! This does make me think of something I heard recently.. I rec'd a phone call about the GED classes we offer at our physical church building one day last week. It seems that the man - a public servant for years now - had gotten word that the place in which he attended high school many many years ago in other state was under investigation. It could turn out that all the diplomas individuals rec'd from that school thru a certain time period would NOT be valid. It's been years since he's been out of school. He's work hard and is a fine public servant.. He may still have to get a GED after all this time.

    Definitely makes me think the school involved with this woman needs to be checked out carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure hope my high school doesn't do that...I've seen some of the GED questions...I'm not smart enough to pass the test!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The GED is not easy. Prior to 2002, it wasn't so bad, but in 2002 it was re-vamped, and all the sections got a bit trickier, especially math.

    If you go to take the math GED test (the GED is actually a set of 5 separate tests), you will need to have a VERY good knowledge of basic math, a pretty good knowledge of algebra and geometry, and a working knowledge of trig.

    As far as this woman is concerned, my husband (age 40), could easily pass for a high school student, especially if he shaved his moustache. She is just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know...I hate tests...I always studied (well, most of the time) and really felt I knew the material, but tests just seemed to throw me for a loop...I don't know if I froze up or what.

    I'm just glad I am finished with my formal education--the biggest test I have to take these days is the eye exam every few years!

    And, Karma...after seeing your picture and Bernard's pic...both of you look very, very, very young!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get rid of cheerleaders?

    I will give a big fat AMEN to that one. I grew up cheerleading. Once a girl hits a certain age (and the skirts hit a certain length) there is nothing to it that isn't sexual. I speak from experience. Cheerleading camp is all about learning how to perform oral sex on your boyfriend.

    My daughter will NEVER become a cheerleader. Ever!! The coaches are almost as bad as the girls.

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if I could join the football team?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if I could join the football team?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could never pass the GED if Math were involved. The greatest thing that happened to me in math was a calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kevin...I've seen your picture...doubt you could pass for 17! Also, after all that coffee you've had, it might have slowed you down a bit...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.