Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Striving for Mobility



It's really hard to believe but this little fella is already seven months old! Evan was born on February 4, 2008.

Over these last seven months, my wife and I have watched in amazement as he has grown. From the little baby that was totally helpless for the first few weeks to the little boy that will probably be crawling by the end of this week, he is making steady progress toward mobility.

Mobility is an interesting concept and desire. The vast majority of us want to move forward in life, to grab life by the horns and pull ourselves up a little higher. It seems most of us are always reaching for the next rung on the ladder.

Maybe that desire for mobility and moving forward starts even before we are born. I know when we first thought my wife might be pregnant, we could hardly wait to confirm it. For a couple of days, we watched for signs (morning sickness, backache, etc.), not really realizing that we were too early for those things. Then, we purchased the "at home pregnancy kit" and the kit said, "Not Pregnant." Relief or disappointment? We didn't know. What we failed to do was read the fine print--the "at home" tests only work after so many days or weeks of pregnancy! When my wife did show "signs" of being pregnant, we took the test again. This time--PREGNANT! Relief or disappointment? More like scared out of our mind! But, we moved forward.

We moved forward with doctor visits, telling family and friends, and getting the room ready for our baby. We moved forward with clothes, paint choices, and even decorations for the room. We moved forward working on names and lists of who to call when he would finally arrive.

Now, it's Evan's turn to move forward, to strive for mobility. His scooting is just the beginning. Before long, he'll be up on all fours, crawling around the house. Then, he'll pull up for the first time and take his first steps. All of those days will happen before we know it. Mobility.

Then, Evan will be off to school, playing with friends in the neighborhood, and in no time, he'll be learning to drive. Mobility.

As you can tell, Evan's latest developmental milestone has caused me to wax eloquent about the days ahead. I really am glad that he is gaining mobility. I'm thrilled as I watch him scoot across the floor--sometimes on his belly, sometimes on his back. I'm thrilled to watch him as he wants to hold his bottle and feed himself with his spoon. I really do want him to grow and mature and be mobile. I promise you I do. But, I also know how much I love holding that little boy, feeling his head rest against my neck, and knowing that he trusts me with everything.

I wonder sometimes if God looks down at us from heaven with the same kinds of desires that parents have. Does He see us where we are, knowing where we could be, and then pushes us forward? Are there times He holds us back? Are there times He has to let us fall and skin our knees?

What about you today? Is God pushing you a little too hard? Or, is He having to hold you back until it's time for you to move forward? Skinned your knees or elbows lately?

I'd love to hear about your journey today.

15 comments:

  1. Gotta take after his mom in the looks department. He is a nice looking young man. As for the thoughts of the post: I agree but the other interesting thing is if Evan didn't start moving forward we would show definite concern (and we should). Why do we not show that type of concern for Christ-followers who do not show forward progress? Just asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really great picture. What a handsome young man. I'm a lazy, procrastinating dude so if you ask me if God is pushing me too hard I'm always gonna be "Yeah, man. What else does he want from me?" I'm sure that's common amongst us humans (I've been reading Exodus lately and it didn't seem to me that Moses was that thrilled about leading the Isrealites out of Egypt)when God asks us to do something out of our comfort zone. He's been weighing on me to get more involved at my church and I'm like "God, are you sure? Shouldn't I be resting a lot so I can do a good job at work?" "Isn't it enough that I'm meeting nice Christian folk online?" Ummm, no. So do I feel pushed? Yes, but for my own good. As horrible as it is to admit, I would have made a very good grumbling Isrealite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bub: We all have our Israelite moments. Trust me!!

    Steve: Pushed too hard -- no, not right now. If you had asked me that 2 weeks ago I would have given you an emphatic YES SIR!! But we made it over those hurdles and it was only by His Grace I can assure you. Holding me back -- yes, I think so. I want to go back to school so badly, but it is ever so apparent that I am to take a year off. I'm disappointed, but the reasons for this break are so wonderful that I won't argue with Him even a little bit. Skinned myself lately -- umm, yeah. I am a toddler most days. Thankfully God has a lot of Peroxide and band-aids. :)

    Evan is so adorable and they grow up way too fast.

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill...yes, the looks can be "blamed" on the other side of the wedding cake!

    As far as Christ followers not moving forward, I think most pastors do expect a great deal from their folks, but sometimes, it is the other church members that don't expect much. It's almost like "normal" is okay and accepted. Nothing could be further from the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bub...the book of Exodus is definitely a great book to study to learn more about this journey with the Lord. Moses wasn't always a willing volunteer or servant--he was often pushed by the Lord, almost thrown out front. But, in the end, he became a great leader for God. I have no doubt that God has a great work ahead for you. I'm not sure what He's training you for, but I'm sure it will fit who you are perfectly. I'll be praying for you as you seek that plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi...don't you hate waiting on God? Waiting to go back to school is a terrible feeling--I know, been there and done that! But, He is preparing you for what is ahead and sometimes the life experiences we go through even help us be better prepared for the formal education--whenever it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You rejoice when they finally walk, and then, a few weeks later, when you are getting him out of this, and out of that, what all the rush was. :)

    I've often wondered if God didn't give me children to teach me more about Him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know...Evan is already scooting around the floor so much that you can't turn your back on him. Also, he hates the "playpen" thing...I guess it is too confining. So, Karma...please feel free to share with me all the secrets you have learned from God!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking kid. Why does he have more hair than you?

    I like your "observation moment turned 'salt'". Very, very nice!

    I am both pushing and being pushed. (Does that qualify as a "shoving match"? ) I am being pushed by God to be the man I need to be to push His church!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rick...when I was his age...I had more hair too! My current look is what years of dealing with deacons did to me! Your turn will come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both being pushed and held back. Waiting for His directions.

    What a cutie your son is!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another good post Steve... It's amazing how fast they grow.. one day they're learning to crawl and before you know it - they've picked up an axe!

    Moving forward and yet still waiting. And that is truly only possible w/God. We've heard from another church body within the last week.... patience is hard to have at times indeed. It's all the more reason to focus on the day - the moments and not lose ourselves in the whens of tomorrow or six weeks.. six months from now.

    Bro G is preaching AND leading/singing today where he is at. You can definitely pray about that... lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story!! He is such a cutie!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Kath...yup...he is a cutie!

    Camie...I absolutely love your opening paragraph!

    And...all of you were just prayed for again today...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Rachel...and thanks for stopping by...comment anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.