Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tuesday's A+ Award of the Day



Today’s A+ Award goes to Ms. Rosetta Ragusa.

In the past two years, 16 year old Rosetta Ragusa has raised almost $4,000 for SOS Children’s Villages (SOS Children’s Villages was founded in 1949 to provide families for orphaned and abandoned children. Today there are over 450 villages in 132 countries around the world. The mission of SOS is to build families for children in need, help them shape their own futures and share in the development of their communities.)

Ragusa spends many weekends outside her local grocery store in La Crescenta, California, collecting donations and raising awareness for the world’s orphans. In addition to weekend “awareness booths,” she formed a “Save Uganda” school club and is producing a video to distribute in her community.

“I first became interested in SOS-USA when I was given an advanced history assignment and had to research a service project,” says Ragusa. “Once I learned of the impact SOS-USA has around the world, I took my assignment out of the classroom and into the real world.”

When she learned how decades of conflict and disease left an entire generation of Ugandan children orphaned, Ragusa decided to take action. She began by educating her community and peers about the needs of orphaned and abandoned children in Uganda, and ultimately by raising funds for SOS-USA.

“Rosetta Ragusa is an exceptional example of a well-intentioned young woman who knows that each one of us can make a difference. We are thrilled to have her volunteering for us, and we support and commend Rosetta for everything she is doing,” states Heather Paul, CEO of SOS-USA.

Ragusa also receives support and encouragement from her family and peers. “It makes me feel blessed that young kids in my community recognize me for my passion for SOS-USA, but to myself I am just an ordinary girl in a big world trying to help Ugandan people.”

Way to go Ms. Ragusa! What a great example you are to teenagers, children, and adults! Your efforts will make a long-term difference in the lives of thousands!

And, the next time someone tells you that all teenagers are bad, just tell them the story of today's A+ Award winner: Rosetta Ragusa!

A+ Ms. Ragusa! A+

3 comments:

  1. With young people like this there is hope for the future! I like her desire and drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know...I'm believing there are more teenages like this, than the bad ones we hear more about!

    The same is true with pastors...there are tens of thousands of great pastors, but we only hear about the bad ones...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear about teens like this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.