Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Sign of the Times?



Could this really be a sign of the times in which we live?

It seems that Framingham State College wanted to reach out and touch the wallets of younger potential donors. So, they recently sent a letter to these potential donors repeating the word “blah” 137 times in the letter campaign.

However, this letter has left some Framingham State College alumni questioning the school’s professionalism, judgment and blah, blah, blah.

The September 5 letter was sent to about 6,000 recent graduates who hadn’t donated to the school yet.

Christopher Hendry, the school’s VP of college advancement, said he approved the letter, which he saw as a worthy attempt to reach younger donors. After several complaints, he sent a letter of apology a month later.

Alumnus Ken Shifman, a 2003 grad, said the letter “insults the intelligence” of alumni, and didn’t seem like it came from a legitimate school.

VP Hendry did note that after the letter the school collected about $2,000 from nearly 40 alumni who never gave before.

What do you think? Worthy attempt? Lousy marketing campaign? If your former school sent you a letter like that, how would you respond?

9 comments:

  1. I would pitch it like I do all their other letters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is kinda dumb. You'd think as much as the VP is getting paid, he could take the time to write a real letter and blah blah blah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael...now you are using too much reason!

    Bill...so, you pitch their donation requests?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick...you always bring such depth to the comment thread...how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd also throw mine away. They got my tuition, they don't need my donation. I probably wouldn't even open it and I know if by chance I did I wouldn't read it once I saw who it was from. Blah!

    heidi reed
    (it's me, I'm not logged in to wordpress right now so you got my google name)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd also throw mine away. They got my tuition, they don't need my donation. I probably wouldn't even open it and I know if by chance I did I wouldn't read it once I saw who it was from. Blah!

    heidi reed
    (it's me, I'm not logged in to wordpress right now so you got my google name)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep Steve I would throw it away. I don't even open them at all. Recently I got an ad for a credit card with the school's name on it and for their benefit. I sent a letter that got their attention. I only opened that to see what kind of garbage it was. I usually shred any offers without opening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would of made sure it was not something of importance and then tossed it. This one sounds like one I would remark to and return to them. Like credit card offers, hopefully on their dime. The remarks are very much to the point but it hasnt made a difference yet in the amount of junkmail we receive. Maybe someday.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.