Some of my blogger friends have questioned whether or not I would be able to blog only one more time about my recent heart attack or whether I would need to do more. Good question. And, to be honest, I don't have a good answer at the moment. I suppose I'll just write about it as needed. Writing about this has been good. I think it has been healthy. I know writing has allowed me to formulate my thoughts better.
As promised, I wanted to share a few of the lessons I've learned over the last few days. By no means will this be all of the lessons, but a few random thoughts I've discovered along the way.
1) I am so thankful for medical technology in our country! It is amazing how in one or two little eraser-sized holes doctors can insert a device to clear out my artery and to see exactly what he is doing! Unless you really knew where to look, you wouldn't even see their incisions!
2) Now, even though medical technology is great, I do have a bone to pick with the people in the field. Don't you think they could develop tape that doesn't pull every hair out of your body by the roots! I hate to shave as it is. And, I'll grow a beard at the drop of the hat. So, I am well-blessed with a strong hair gene--everywhere except on the top of my head! So, when you are taped by a nurse or doctor, much pain is ultimately realized by the patient when said tape is removed by the nurse, doctor, or patient. Come on scientists! Find something that will attach itself in a good way and let go when no longer needed! Please! For the love of all that is good, and holy...and right. And decent!
3) Got a small bruise on your arm or leg that is causing you some grief! Let me show you a bruise! Blood thinner does great things to areas where only an eraser-sized incision was made!
4) While urgent care or primary care clinics get a bad rap at times, the one Evan and I went to on Monday deserves an A+ Award of the Day. I'll definitely write more about them in the days ahead!
5) Riding in the front of a firetruck or ambulance is definitely more fun than riding in the back on a gurney! Facing backward!
6) I still hate needles!
7) I have learned that 33% of all people who have a heart attack have no early warning signs. I am one of the 33% of people! If you are male, over the age of 40, find a cardiologist. Talk about taking an aspirin a day. Don't wait for the gorilla to sit on your chest! Trust me, you can't move him.
8) Not much looks better than to be wheeled out of the cath lab and see your wife standing there, waiting for you! What a sight for tired eyes.
9) I'm learning just how many people have gone through similar things! Two of four staff members at our church have had heart attacks or open heart surgery! Folks, that's just another "perk" of the ministry.
10) It's great to have blogging friends who I've never met, but know are praying for me. Your support system means much to me!
11) It is actually good to be back at work today. I hate sitting on the couch, watching TV, doing nothing. Today has given me the opportunity to focus my brain!
12) Want to feel a closeness to your parents? Well, just have a heart attack and you talk about similar medicines you are taking, procedures you are having done, and rides in ambulances! I wish I had not learned this lessong.
13) During the 13th day of the month, don't check out at WalMart in the 13th lane, as I did last Monday morning. While I am not overly superstitious, I did just that last Monday. There was absolutely no one in that lane--all of the other lanes were full. I remember saying to the casher, "Well, I guess today is my lucky day!" Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. I'm still here!
14) Animals really do know when something is wrong. Our little dog knew I was in trouble Monday. She jumped into my lap and licked me in the face during my heart attack. She wouldn't let me put her down. She seemed to know that I was facing some problem. Since I've been home, she has acted so weird. One minute, she's closer to me than my shadow, the next she acts as if I've beaten her terribly (which I would never do).
15) God still works miracles! During this entire experience, I've seen miracle after miracle that could have only come from His hands. He's been far too good to me, far better than I deserve.
16) I'm very behind on reading blogs! I read every blog listed under my blog roll to the right every day. Well, that was true until last Tuesday. I'll come back! I promise!
17) I'm glad to be alive!
18) I'm glad to be a Christ follower!
19) I'm glad to be a parent!
20) I'm glad to be a husband!