Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Real Christmas Spirit



Now, I’m really in the Christmas spirit!

The following story just does it for me. See if the story doesn’t do the same thing to you.

The story is from Parrish, Florida. Authorities say a west Florida man who lives with his parents has been arrested on a felony assault charge after he used a Christmas tree as a weapon to attack his father.

[Why don’t you re-read that paragraph. It’ll just warm you inside out. I just know it.]

According to the Manatee County sheriff’s report, 37-year-old Thomas Edward Lackie was arrested last week after he threw a 3-foot Christmas tree at his father. The tree missed, but Lackie then tried to use the steel base from the tree to strike his father.

[Again, re-read that paragraph. You’ll remember from the first paragraph in the story that this man lives with his mother and father. You learn from the second paragraph that the man is 37-years-old! 37! That’s just wrong.]

[You also learn that he tried to hit his father with a 3-foot Christmas tree. I’m sorry, how much Christmas spirit can you really have if you are putting up a 3-foot tree?]

His father and mother were able to grab Lackie’s arms to prevent the attack. Deputies say the tree could have caused serious injuries because the metal base weighs about five pounds.

Lackie was charged with felony assault. He denied trying to strike his father.

Are you surprised he denied trying to hit his father? I’m not.

Well, my holiday season is now almost complete. This story just did it for me. I really think I need to go out and find another tree to add to our decorations. I think I’ll make it a red one—after all, I’m quite sure Mr. Lackie was seeing red as he tried to hit his father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.