File this one away in the “Didn’t Everyone Already Know This File.”
Morris and Annelies Sheehan promised North Haven firefighters they wouldn’t use real candles on their Christmas trees anymore.
The Sheehan’s lit the candles for a guest from Germany and the tree went up in flames, along with a couch, bookcase, rug, and drapes. The family was able to keep the flames from spreading to the rest of their home by using buckets of water.
The family says it has been using real candles for 44 years with no previous problem, but normally does not have the tree up this long after Christmas.
The Sheehans say they will use electric candles next Christmas.
Smart. Even after 44 years of no problems, I just assumed everyone knew this! Candles and dead trees. Not a good combination!