Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Most Expensive Hamburger in the World



Let’s cross “the big pond” for today’s weird news story. Dateline: London, England. This past Wednesday, the home of “The Whopper”, Burger King, launched a $200 burger. Before you freak out unnecessarily, keep in mind that they did it all in the name of charity.

The goal for Burger King was to set a new record, the world’s most expensive burger. The hamburger is available at just one restaurant in West London, England, once a week—but it will eventually be available to order via a hotline.

The fine ingredients of what is called simply “The Burger” include Wagyu beef, white truffles, Pata Negra ham slices, Cristal onion straws, Modena balsamic vinegar, lambs lettuce, pink Himalayan rock salt, organic white wine and shallot infused mayonnaise in an Iranian saffron and white truffle dusted bun (I’m not even sure what most of those things are! Are you?)

Celebrity chef Antony Worrall Thompson told Sky News Online: “It sounds delicious. The ingredients are very good and high powered, but why is Burger King doing it?”

All the proceeds from The Burger sales will go to the Help A London Child charity, which assists young people experiencing abuse, homelessness, disability, poverty and illness.

David Kisilevsky, at Burger King, said: “The Burger reflects our ongoing commitment to producing for a range of different pockets.”

The Burger beat the previous world record for the most expensive burger, held by Daniel Boulud for the DB Double Truffle Burger in New York, (1994) priced at $130.

By lunchtime on the first day of The Burger's unveiling, eight had been purchased, said Chef Mark Dowding, the director of new product development and innovation for the fast food chain.

Dowding said he hoped that more than 100 would be sold by the end of the day.

So, here’s a question for you: Would you pay $200 for a hamburger? I think the answer is probably no. So, here’s the real question: Just how much would you pay for a hamburger? Let’s say you are really, really hungry, and you haven’t had a hamburger in 20 years. What’s your limit? $5? $10? Maybe even $100?

Let me know your thoughts.

I’m happy Burger King is supporting this charity. That is commendable. And, truthfully, I hope it goes well. They just shouldn’t expect me to walk up to the counter and say, “I’ll have ‘The Burger, please. And hold the lambs lettuce.” For $200, I might just want extra lambs lettuce, and Mayo, of course!

7 comments:

  1. Just sounds pure gross-ness to me. I don't eat red meat anyway and this would surely clog the arteries and bring on an early departure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On our way back from Africa for the first time (after two years), we paid AIRPORT PRICES for a hamburger in London! That ought to tell you how much I'd pay! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick,

    I try not to eat at the airport any more than necessary! Unfortunately, with work travels, I have to from time-to-time. I just take out a major loan before I eat my hamburger and fries. The best solution yet is to eat a smoothie! Fills you up, and the price is reasonable! Hope work appreciates my "sacrifice"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, no red meat--not that is gross!

    My wife and I don't eat a lot of red meat, but from time-to-time nothing beats a nice thick steak!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will eat a buffalo burger from time to time. I reckon that counts as red meat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are just full of contridictions my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that why I have such trouble being a Christ-follower and a pastor? I knew I needed counseling and now I got it free! Where exactly do you live Steve? I can come to visit for more free stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.