Monday, June 23, 2008

Supersize Me! Or Not



I have a confession to make—I like eating at McDonald’s! I really do like their hamburgers and french fries. Not sure why I like McDonald’s, but I do. My small hometown didn’t even have a McDonald’s until I was a senior in high school, so I can’t blame an early childhood addiction, I just like the taste. And, having grown up in the deep south, maybe I just like their grease! Reminds me of what Momma would have used!

Well, over the last few years, McDonald’s has been criticized for the type of oil they use and the high fat and calories in their food. There was even a movie that came out showing how one man gained weight after eating at McDonald’s every day for a month.

Now, a Quinton, Virginia, man claims that he has lost about 80 pounds in six months by eating nearly every meal at McDonald’s.

No, he did not eat Big Macs, french fries, and chocolate shakes. What he ate was mostly salads, wraps, and apple dippers without the caramel sauce.

The man’s name is Chris Coleson. Back in December 2007, Chris tipped the scales at 278 pounds. His waist size was a whopping (sorry, I also like Burger King as well) 50! Now, the 5-foot-8 Virginia man now weighs 199 pounds and his waist size has dropped to 36.

Coleson says his goal is to get back to the 185 pounds he weighed when he married he wife ten years ago this past Saturday.

Chris, we will be praying for you and your weight loss strategy! You are a strong man, I give you that! If I were at McDonald’s, I know my first choice wouldn’t be a salad or wrap or even the apple dippers (with or without the caramel sauce). I’d be telling them to bring on the Quarter Pounder! Or the Big Mac! And, please, supersize the fries! And, don’t forget the ketchup! Got to have ketchup on my fries!

Chris, and Jared over at Subway, are to be commended. Eating healthy is a major accomplishment these days. Eating the right foods, getting the right amount of sleep, and pushing yourself to exercise, certainly seem like “un-American” things to do.

A movie was made about the guy gaining weight at McDonald’s. A lot of hype went into his eating at McDonald’s, causing his heart rate to change, his blood pressure to go up, and his weight increasing. I wonder, will the national media follow Chris’s amazing story and tell the positive side of eating at the same place? Should I expect to see a movie about him any time soon? I rather doubt it.

What about you? Do you have the same kind of willpower that Chris has? Could you eat nearly every meal at McDonald’s and not eat a fry?

Let me hear from you!

6 comments:

  1. I have excellent willpower. I refuse to eat at Micky D's. Disgusting place/food. Although...I have heard their orange shake is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my wife and I dated, we dated long-distance. When I drove up to see her, I'd always eat at McDonald's on the way. It was cheap, fast, and hey, there's one at just about every exit!

    Bill, since you don't eat red meat, I hope you live to be 100! Me, since I do, I'll probably not see 50!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think i want to live that long. My Term Life only goes to 75. Maybe I ought to start eating red meat and all that other cholesterol laden stuff. Come to think of it...I do like pizza and ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, no red meat, but you'll eat pizza and ice cream? Talk about hypocritical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veggie pizza and real ice cream. No fake stuff. You just gotta choose the quality of the fat you take in. I rationalize it all away by cycling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife likes low fat stuff...we've had several discussions about low-fat Mayo! There's not such thing! What is Mayo after all? Fat!

    She likes Miracle Whip and calls it Mayo. I have to remind her to read the label. Ever read the label on Miracle Whip? It is called salad dressing! I don't know about you, but I don't put salad dressing on my freshly cut tomato sandwich!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.