Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Distance--100 Words



Distance.

You would think that measuring distance would be easy.

If A to B is 100 miles, then B to A should equal the same 100 miles.

I’m not great at math, but that seems logical.

However, when it comes to relationships, distance isn’t measured with logic.

In many relationships one person seems tasked with the responsibility of keeping the relationship going.

They make the phone calls. The visits. Write the emails. Texts.

The other person seems to be on the receiving end, rarely giving in return.

In truth, one person can’t sustain a relationship alone. It does take two.

2 comments:

  1. Very true Steve. I have had my share of one-sided "friendships." They are tiring & draining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m taking on a new journey: patience. “Give me patience for myself – and patience for others.” It’s the mantra I chant to myself when feeling a touch of road rage at the “Canyonero” SUV driver who nearly rear-ended me after tailgating me through traffic. It’s the silent prayer I offer to the frazzled flight attendant being bullied by an irate passenger on the airplane. It’s my refuge when I start berating myself over a mistake I made at work. Work-life – we’re all learning and we all make mistakes. Take the journey with me. Breathe, take a step back, be patient.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.