Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Daddy--100 Words



Daddy.

On days like today, I struggle being Daddy.

Evan did great going to daycare. He was happy. He danced into the building.

Then, as I started to leave, the tears and the “I love you Daddy” started. Evan held on tight. He didn’t want me to leave.

I felt worse than scum. Even though I stayed and held him. For fifteen minutes.

It wasn’t enough. For him or me.

My heart hurts when this happens. I simply want to stay and hold him. Reassure him.

I called to check on him. He’s fine.

Why is it that I’m not?

1 comment:

  1. You are not fine because he IS your heart. It is painful to let your heart walk around in places where you are not. You are a really good daddy, Steve.

    Laura Conway McCann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.