Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Resign or Die!

Iowa Sen. Charles Grassley, a Republican, has suggested that AIG executives should accept responsibility for the collapse of the insurance giant by resigning or killing themselves.

The Republican lawmaker’s harsh comments came during an interview with Cedar Rapids, Iowa, radio station WMT. They echo remarks he has made in the past about corporate executives and public apologies, but went further in suggesting suicide.

“I suggest, you know, obviously, maybe they ought to be removed,” Grassley said. “But I would suggest the first thing that would make me feel a little bit better toward them if they’d follow the Japanese example and come before the American people and take that deep bow and say, I’m sorry, and then either do one of two things: resign or go commit suicide. And in the case of the Japanese, they usually commit suicide before they make any apology.”

Japanese executives often take responsibility for scandals within their companies by issuing public apologies on camera and stepping down. It is rare, however, that business executives have gone so far as to take their lives. In feudal Japan, ritual suicide was considered an honorable death under the samurai warrior ethic.

Grassley spokesman Casey Mills said the senator isn’t calling for AIG executives to kill themselves, but said those who accept tax dollars and spend them on travel and bonuses do so irresponsibly.

What do you think? Has the Gentleman from Iowa gone too far? Or, should some merit be given to what he has said? Do you think an apology is forthcoming from AIG? Or, do you think the Senator will be the first to offer an apology?

10 comments:

  1. Perhaps asking for them to commit suicide (if in fact that is what he was asking) is a bit much. But they should all apologize and then resign. And if he really cares about the American people, the prez ought to block any and all bonuses. However....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably went too far. Doesn't he look like the Senator on 24 who was after Jack Bauer and just got killed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bill. But whatever the case, this has gone on too long and it has gone too far.

    Just a sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the cultural confusion in his statement is amusing. He wanted both the apology and the suicide. I saw a report that the national debt is now at about 36K per citizen. You know, if they'd have just given it to me directly, I could have paid off our fixed mortgage. I'm just sayin...(grin)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, Bill, if these employees had contracts that included bonuses, the government should step in and void those contracts?

    Is that the role of the government?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin...I was thinking the same thing about him! He could be the actor's stunt double!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rick...is there anything we can do to stop this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Para...I tend to think that the smaller the government the better...if they had given me the $36k, I would have done a far better job with it than the banks, car companies, and foreign governments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, it's an interesting thought. As a neolib, I'm feeling melancholy and missing the good ole days before we actually won the election. I mean, back then we could rail about the war, rant about the injustice of it all, rage about the neocons...ah the good ole days before we won. Now what? Seriously Barry, if you'd just cut me a check for 36K, I know the love would be back! (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, I found a piece of new legislation I can really get behind. Lawmakers allowed that line in the $787B law that honored any bonus agreement made before 2/11/09, BUT they are working on a new tax law, that if you recieve a bonus from a company that directly recieved government bailout money, that bonus would be taxed at 90%.

    I encourage you to let your US representatives know that you endorse that action, specifically for the automotive and financial industries (otherwise, they'll leave a loophole wide enough to drive a truck through and make enforcement impossible).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.