Monday, May 18, 2009

Turn Off Your Computer! I Mean It!

The chairman and CEO of the world's largest search engine is urging college graduates to turn off their computers and discover the humanity around them.

Google's Eric Schmidt spoke at the University of Pennsylvania's commencement ceremony in Philadelphia on today.

The Class of 2009 is graduating in a tough economic climate, but Schmidt says such downturns can be a time for innovation. He noted that Rice Krispies, Twinkies, and beer cans were all products of the Great Depression—and staples of college life.

Schmidt says that while graduates can't plan for innovation or inspiration, they can be ready for it when it happens.

You know, without even knowing it, I've been following Mr. Schmidt's advice to the class of 2009. I've been walking away more and more from the computer. Taking time to do more "important" things.

I think those times of silence are important. As my blogger friend Camey says, we all need quiet times. I'm in one of those times in life.

At some point soon, I'll unpack a few things I am learning and going through. Maybe I will eventually get to the point where I can say that I am growing through these events, but I'm not there yet. Maybe soon.

Thanks for any and all prayers said on my behalf, and on behalf of my family. They are appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Been missing you Steve but hope that you are finding some answers. As Camey says, "Dangerous prayers being said on your behalf."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill...as Arnold was famous for saying, "I'll be back!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been much in the blogging mood lately, either.

    Hang in there, Bro... God is in control, even though it might not seem like it. Sometimes, you just need to be reminded. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. See how this works? Camey prays dangerous prayers. Bill does too. Heidi prays on top of those prayers a special blessing to all who have been prayed for and those who are doing the praying. Got you covered like times 3 or something fantastical. :) Now you go with your bad self and take some quiet time. See you soon!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rick...

    Heidi...you are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.