Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Oprah Slide



Fox News online ran the following article yesterday:

"Has Oprah's golden touch lost its magic?
"Ratings for 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' and circulation of the talk queen's magazine, 'O,' are suffering steep declines, indications that her core audience—white women 35-54—may be disatisfied with some of her recent forays into political activism.

"Nielsen Media Research reports Winfrey's talk show has fallen nearly 7 percent this year, its third straight year of decline. Meanwhile, Audit Bureau of Circulation figures show her magazine slipping more than 10 percent in three years.

"Winfrey's endorsement of Barack Obama may be behind some of the decline in her core, many of whom continue to back Hillary Clinton.

'Not too long ago, she was like the pope,' Janice Peck, an associate professor of mass communication at the University of Colorado, told the New York Times, citing criticism of her Obama support on message boards at Oprah.com.

'There are a lot of her fans who are not Democrats or who support Hillary Clinton who feel betrayed,' Peck told the newspaper."

FROM ME: While I have no doubt that some of the decline in Oprah's ratings can be attributed to her support for Mr. Obama, I also have no doubt that some of her decline can be attributed to her "New Earth" movement she has started. Oprah continues, or so it seems to me, to move more and more away from center and from any traditional values as taught in the Bible. Now, from an outward appearance, she is starting her own religious group, with devoted followers from around the world.

I've never been a huge Oprah fan, I will admit that. I'm usually still at work when she comes on in the afternoon. But, even if I were not working, I don't think I would watch her program. I don't need the latest self-help tools she promotes, or to buy the latest book that has hit a nerve with her, or to go on the hottest diet to ever come along (come on Oprah, that is a stretch for you, isn't it?), or to learn the ins and outs of the newest religion to touch your inner soul.

The Word of God was written thousands of years ago. It was true then, it's still true today. There's really no reason to turn any where else, but to God.

As Oprah searches for answers, that would be the first one I would offer to her, if she were to come asking.

3 comments:

  1. I stopped watching Oprah years and years ago. I watched her off and on but never followed her like some of her groupies. Another case of a person blessed with much who cannot find the King of her treasury. So sad. selahV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!

    Oprah has done many good things, but those will be wood, hay, and stubble, I am afraid. I do pray for her salvation--obviously she is searching for something, just in all the wrong places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read "My Stroke of Insight" in one sitting - I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried. It was a fantastic book (I heard it's a NYTimes Bestseller and I can see why!), but I also think it will be the start of a new, transformative Movement! No one wants to have a stroke as Jill Bolte Taylor did, but her experience can teach us all how to live better lives. Her TED.com speech was one of the most incredibly moving, stimulating, wonderful videos I've ever seen. Her Oprah Soul Series interviews were fascinating. They should make a movie of her life so everyone sees it. This is the Real Deal and gives me hope for humanity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.