Monday, September 26, 2011

Commodity--100 Words



I grew up in a lower middle class family. What we were, and I didn’t know it, was poor. We raised our own vegetables. We canned tomatoes, green beans, fig preserves, and pickles. We froze everything else.

My dad had a side job of cutting meat for farmers. Instead of getting paid in cash, they gave him cuts of meat.

We were poor, but not poor enough to receive commodities. You remember those? Peanut butter? Cheese? All of which came from the USDA.

But, on rare occasions, someone would give my parents commodity cheese. We ate good on those nights!

2 comments:

  1. I remember them! Peanut butter than truly stuck. All mom had to do to shut us up was to give us a spoonful of Pb and she had peace and quiet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bill...I do the same thing to our dog at times...she loves peanut butter...but it sticks to her mouth...and she licks and licks and licks...at least she isn't barking!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.