Thursday, September 8, 2011

9/11--100 Words



9/11.

Where were you that September morn?

I was pastoring in Alabama. I was also a volunteer fireman.

Within 30 minutes of the planes hitting the towers, our fire department was activated. Even though we were nearly 1,000 miles away.

Not for service in New York or DC or even in a Pennsylvania field.

We were activated to serve our community. All flights had been grounded. One plane was unaccounted for. They feared it might be highjacked.

We were to be ready for a crash.

I’ll never forget that day.

In so many ways, it changed my life and future.

1 comment:

  1. Steve, that's an interesting story. I missed out on so much of what it was like here in the States. We were in West Africa at the time and really haven't heard too many people's stories.

    It was pretty scary for us. We lived in a country that was called the "fundraising state" for fundamental Islamic terrorism. Fortunately, we didn't face anything "bad" in the days afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.