Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Vanishing Dream



“You don’t even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? It is a mist that appears for a little while. Then it disappears” (James 4:14).



During much of my life I’ve had a singular goal. My goal has been to be used by God to make a difference in the lives of the people I come into contact with.

Family.

Coworkers.

Friends.

Even complete strangers.

Whether in person, through a sermon preached, a blog, a Facebook update, or a written word, I’ve desired for those, in some form or fashion, to have an impact upon other people.

The older I get, the more I realize that my opportunities to make a difference are running out. I’m aging. Eventually, and sooner than later, I’m going to die.

In the days after my death, someone will come along and box up all of my personal effects for my wife to take home. If I am lucky, in a few months after that, someone will see something I worked on or remember something I said and they’ll say, “I remember Steve…”

But, those memories won’t last long. I doubt anyone will be quoting me as they do George Washington or Martin Luther King, Jr. or Jeff Gordon or even David Letterman.

It’s somewhat demoralizing to realize how little impact we actually have on this world, and for the short time we have any impact upon it.

At this moment, the reality of just how short life is and how little time we have to make a difference is sitting heavy upon my shoulders.

I guess I’m supposed to say that I’ll just need to redouble my efforts and do a better job in the time I have left.

But, at some moments in time, thinking that and doing that are two different things.

1 comment:

  1. It never has been about what you can do. That's the world's mantra.

    For the believer, what matters is what God can do, what results He can bring, as a result of what we do. you put out some materials for RA boys .. the question is what can God use that to accomplish in shaping those boys' lives, and in their lives themselves. And on and on, as they grow and influence people.

    Plus, you preached the other day. Forget the invitation and the response. What can God do with what you planted in people's minds?

    When you entertain friends, say, and they're encouraged for a few days, how can they influence people, perhaps a bit differently than they would have, otherwise? And what can God do with that?

    You're pouring a lot of your life into Evan. What can God do with that example as others see it and learn from it? And what can God do through Evan, in years to come?

    You're not going to make a difference in anybody's life. But God can make a difference, building on what you do. Don't sell Him short.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to read what you have written.